Chapter Thirty-Two - Future

Word Count: 3,521.

Warnings: SMUT (will be specified when starting)

It's painful. Every day is agony on my body. Even now, my head pulses as the flame tries to escape its cage.

I have found that her voice has become stronger since the last time I wrote. It seems that the longer this power eats away at my mind, the more powerful she become and the weaker my body gets.

The more I resist her, the more aggressive she becomes and sometimes I feel as though my suppression of her advances is what's giving her the power she needs.

Ignorance is bliss in the case of this curse. Resisting does not work to slow her down, but ignoring her, pretending she is not there, seems to dampen the effects, as though she almost fears to be forgotten.

It seems that my outbursts in the past, giving into the power she was giving me, only sped up this curse, my aches and pains and deteriorating mind and memory have only picked up its pace.

My memory has been fading, not just current events or blackouts in time but –

"Do you not think that you are reading too much into that?" Mattheo asked, causing me to look to him and close to journal I had been reading.

We lay on the bed in his Room of Requirement, me on my stomach and Riddle on his back, staring up at the ceiling.

"It might tell me how to control her," I replied.

Riddle propped his head on his hand, angling himself towards me. "You refer to this thing as though it is a person."

"That's what it appears to me as," I explained to him. "It's a voice of sorts but when it takes a form, it is a woman. My mother to be exact. It seems to feed off my memories."

"Why would it appear to you like that?" he asked.

I shook my head. "I have no idea, but the physical form of the curse is a lot stronger than her bickering voice in my head and it seems that Credence saw a woman too, or a girl. His little sister from the orphanage that he lived in. She died and the Obscurus fed on that, torturing him for years."

"But your mother isn't dead," he told me. "Why would the Obscurus still be feeding on her image?"

Shrugging my shoulder, I ran a hand down the cover of Credence's diary. "Maybe it thought that she could bring me the most pain."

Riddle moved himself closer to me, bringing an arm over my back and resting his chin on my shoulder blade.

I smiled, putting the book aside and carefully turning over. I sat up, placing myself in a seated position and bringing Mattheo's head into my lap.

He gasped. "Head scratches." Riddle sighed, closing his eyes as I began to run my fingers through his hair.

He was quick to ask me another question. "So Scamander lied?" he asked me. "About how Credence had died."

I shook my head. "No, actually. When he wrote Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, he had thought Credence had died in the way he explained. It was only later he discovered that he was alive. He didn't write another book about him."

"So, how did he die?"

I swallowed. "The Obscurus caught up with him."

Mattheo didn't answer, instead he turned over, wrapping his arms around my waist as he seemed to snuggle into my lap.

"Precious," Estrella muttered, resting her head on my shoulder. "He's just adorable, isn't he?"

I took a deep breath, ignoring the woman's words and closing my eyes.