Chapter Twenty-Three - Return

Word Count: 3,385.

Warnings: None.

There were a lot of us heading to Grimmauld Place for Christmas that year. Myself and Harry were, as planned, returning to the Black residence for the holiday but we had recently learned that due to the incident with Mr. Weasley, that the rest of his family would be there too.

I didn't mind this. Having more people around me, more people to talk to, would allow me less time to be left with my own thoughts.

I hadn't heard any whispers in three weeks. No voices in my head. No apparitions in the Potion's room. I hadn't heard the voices of my mother or Barty in a fortnight and oddly enough, I was missing them.

I never took the necklace off, the chain on a constant stand around my neck. I couldn't take it off. I tried, a couple of times, but although my fingers would touch the clasp around the back of my neck, I couldn't make them move any further.

"So, are you ready for Christmas?" Draco asked me as we walked out of our final class of the term. Care of Magical Creatures.

"I suppose," I told him, hugging my books to my chest tightly.

"You suppose?" he repeated, walking ahead of me slightly and turning to look at me.

"I have to lie to my dad and my uncle for two weeks," I explained.

He sighed. "Right, because you are an incredibly bad liar."

"Thanks Malfoy," I answered sarcastically.

"You could always tell them," Mattheo spoke up, taking my free hand in his and holding it tightly.

"Do you know what they would do if they knew that I had not only met Voldemort, but that I have a seat at his most trusted table?" I paused, turning my head between the two of them. "And not to mention that I almost killed a man. Another man."

"When you put it like that..." Draco trailed off.

"It's better if I take it to my grave," I muttered, letting the conversation fall into silence as we began to make our way up the hill towards the castle.

"So tell me again," Draco started up a different topic. "What happened in Dumbledore's office?"

I sighed. "Harry had a dream, and what happened in that dream was exactly what happened in real life," I shortened it.

"That's fucking creepy," Mattheo commented. "As if the guy didn't have enough attention."

I turned to him. "It's not like he wants it."

"Lyra!" a voice shouted as we made it to the top of the hill. I turned to the castle. Potter stood in the doorway, Ron, the twins and Ginny by his side. "Time to go!"

"On my way!" I replied, stopping in my tracks and turning to the two Slytherin's behind me. "I'll see you two after Christmas."

"Are you going right now?" Mattheo asked. "Class just ended."

"The Weasley's are anxious to see Arthur," I explained to which they both nodded.

"Well, I'll see you soon then cousin," Draco told me, moving to engulf me in a tight hug.

I returned the embrace. "Wait," I told him, pulling away. I reached into my satchel, taking out a small gift and handing it to him. "You're Christmas present."

He sighed. "I didn't –"

"I know. Didn't stop me from getting you one."

He hugged me again, rocking me back and forth from foot to foot. I laughed lightly as he moved away, holding the gift tightly, making his way down the hill and back to Hogwarts.