Chapter Four - Start of Year Feast

Word Count: 2,221.

Warnings: None.

The Great Hall was bustling with students and teachers once again. The well-known floating candles were lighting the sky above us and the ghosts of the houses rejoiced the return of their students, weaving in and out of the tables. Coming up to the first years, vanished underneath the floor, rising through the food in front of them.

The tables themselves were filled to the brim with savoury dishes. From full pot roast to larger than normal chickens. Goblets of juice and water that seemed to taste different every time I took a drink were littered along the tables.

Everyone in the room, the students at least, had seemed to have completely forgotten about the events of the Hogwarts Express. The Dementors that seemed to be searching the train, had completely vanished from conversation. I hadn't forgotten about it.

The image of that floating, black figure was the only thing I could see, the students chattering and bustling around me only ambient noise as I leaned my head in my hands, eyes staring at the uneaten food in front of me.

"Who's the guy Theo's sitting with?" a voice asked, piercing through the noise, my attention returning to the people that surrounded me.

"A new student apparently," I heard Pansy reply, to which Draco simply nodded, picking up his goblet.

Moving my head off my hands I turned my gaze, finding Theo sat a couple of students down our Slytherin table. Beside him was who I assumed Pansy was talking about.

Not actually having noticed that Theo wasn't beside me, I turned my head away from them, moving my eyes back to the full plate of food in front of me.

"Come on Lyra." Blaise urged, reaching forward to take my hand, "come back to us."

I looked at my friends around me, who's eyes were all locked on mine, worrying looks plastered on their face. I quickly realized that I had been ignoring them.

"I'm sorry guys, just thinking about the train." I answered sighing slightly. Blaise took his hands away, quickly changing the subject.

"He's hot." He muttered, bringing his gaze back on Theo and the new student. I laughed lightly.

"I don't think you're his type Blaise," Pansy started, placing a hand on his arm, "you know, good-looking." Blaise simply scoffed, throwing her hands away. The three of us fell into a fit of giggles, thoughts of the train leaving my mind. Draco watching us with a smile.

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts!" Dumbledore's voice echoed through the hall, silencing the chatter as everyone turned to face the Head Master.

"I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it is best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..."

Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued. "As you will all be aware after the search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

My stomach turned, throat burning as his words settled into my mind. I knew why the Dementors were here. I knew who they were looking for. Sirius Black has escaped.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds." Dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises – or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly.