| 1 |

A small sigh left the girl as she stood in front of her mirror, adjusting the tie of her school uniform, maybe returning after winter break was gonna be more difficult than she thought.

"Technically... you're halfway now," she reminded herself before running a hand through her slightly messy and shaggy hair, which she had attempted to tame all morning but mostly failing at, "oh what wonderous cooperative hair you have been blessed with Ahn Jiyeon," she muttered before grabbing her cheap plastic hair clip, which was barely surviving with only half of the teeth left on it.

Within seconds her hair was swung up and held onto by the clip... or well barely being held onto. The up-do sat loosely on the back of her head, letting a few short strands fall out and frame her face as she rushed to grab her bag and throw it onto her shoulders as she rushed out into the kitchen.

"Breakfast!" her mom called after her, as the girl immediately grabbed a bright orange.

"I'll survive!" Jiyeon called out in return as she ran to the door and shoved her feet straight into her shoes. She slipped into them before swinging the door open and rushing out on the street as she began peeling her orange and wandering down the sidewalk.

Behind her a small trail of orange peels were left behind, because let's face it in the end it would organically be broken down and return to be a proper part of nature like it was. Would she be shedding the peel if it was "biodegradable plastic"? Hell no. But because an orange literally belongs to the nature, this would do no harm, and she knew that.

"Oi shortie!" a voice rung out, making Jiyeon stop in her tracks. Not because she identified as 'shortie' but because she knew that voice all too well, and that voice had been gone all winter break for a family trip back to China.

"Zhu Li Yang!" Jiyeon abruptly turned around and playfully glared at the girl running towards her, wearing the exact same uniform but without the orange in hand, "we're literally the same height!"

"Impossible," Li Yang, or more commonly referred to as Lin, waved it off as she slowed her pace once she reached Jiyeon, "I'm at least half a centimeter taller than you," she excused with a teasing smile, patting down her short hair thair hovered just above her shoulders.

"And Kim Sunoo agrees to that?" Jiyeon smugly commented as she finally was able to push the first part of her orange into her mouth.

"How do you know about that?" Lin immediately gasped and let her mouth hang open as she looked at Jiyeon, who had to softly push up Lin's chin to close the mouth again.

"Relax," Jiyeon chuckled slightly, "barely anyone knows... Only like... me, Soomin unnie, Misun unnie, her brother, her brother's friends, Sunoo's friends and-"

"Okay, I think I get the message," Lin cut off Jiyeon, who immediately let out a small giggle at the agitated girl beside her, "he promised we would keep it a secret that we were goinng out on a few dates..." she murmured and picked at her fingertips.

"It's Kim Sunoo!" Jiyeon exclaimed in amusement, "when was the last time that boy kept quiet about anything?"

"Kindergarten?" Lin questioned before she slowly shook her head herself, denying the answer she had just given,"nevermind I take that back, even then he was loud."

"Everyone at school will literally know you're a couple before you even say yes to be his girlfriend," Jiyeon remarked, knowing well that no matter how much Lin might want to be his girlfriend she would never dare ask herself, that's probably the one point where her introverted side took over, and exactly when the two girls needed their unnies to do simple tasks for them, like getting food in the cantine.

"Well, now you know my winter break was filled with intense Chinese rapping from my aunt and cute facetime calls with Sunoo, how about you tell me what you've done for the past few weeks?" Lin offered as Jiyeon took another bite from her orange, "despite living off a diet consisting of solely oranges."

"Dad was home from work in Lithuania," Jiyeon shrugged and Lin quietly hummed, knowing how the other girl's dad had a habit of working abroad during the year and only returning home every once in a while during the year, "I think he had to work in Albania for the next few months."

"Did he get moved to the Europe department?" Lin questioned, recalling how Jiyeon had told her the last place her dad worked was mostly places around South America such as Peru and Argentina.

As the two girls entered the gates to their school they immediately blended into the mess of all the students, who swarmed around the school yard greeting each other once more or rushing to their classes to get to the desks at the back of the classroom, where the teachers won't be able to see them drawing on the desks.

"One and a half semester," Lin sighed as she looked up towards the tall grey block, which was their school, "and then we're out of this shithole. Then we're going to Austria, make up fake bank accounts, marry old men that die within like a year, and become millionaires."

"I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that," Jiyeon reminded her as Lin waved it off.

"Of course there's some minor details in there, but those are for when we actually move. Now... we survive this shit show," Lin clarified as a small laugh escaped Jiyeon while she was being dragged inside.