| 16 |

Jake excitedly rushed through the house, his arms filled with blankets as pillows as he saw the staircase to the roof in front of him.

"Ooi! Jake Sim!" a voice called out and Jake quickly halted his steps before turning around and looking at Heeseung, whose head had poked out from his room.

"Yeah?" Jake nodded in confusion.

"Small reminder that once you're in this house visiting my sister, I'm more her brother than I'm your friend," Heeseung warned making Jake immediately nod, "got it?"

"Yes sir," Jake nodded before quickly running towards the staircase once more.

Once Jake reached the top of the stairs to the rooftop he grinned widely at the sight of Millie. She was wearing one of his older hoodies, which he had grown out of a few years before. She was opening a few boxes with fruits the two had cut after finsihing school earlier that day.

"I bring blankets," Jake announced as he carefully moved over to where Millie sat, dropping the blankets and pillows right beside her.

Millie quietly looked over at the blankets before directing her eyes up towards the sky, a small smile spreading on her face as she did so.

"Look," she quietly murmured and Jake immediately looked upwards towards the night sky, which only was lit up by the scatter of glittering stars.

While Jake was too much in awe of the stars, while also attempting to find out what it was Millie had seen, Millie on the other hand had taken the liberty to spread a blanket out on the rooftop, placing two pillows before she laid down and looked up at teh sky with her eyes bigger than they usually were.

Once Jake realized she had laid down, he quickly followed after and pulled the biggest blanket over the two of them, to keep their warmth as Millie was in too much of a trance by the stars.

"You like the stars, huh?" Jake quietly commented as his eyes were fixated on Millie's side profile. Her nose looking the exact same as her brother's from the side.

"They calm me down," Millie hummed with a small nod, a small double chin appearing everytime her head nodded down towards her chest. Jake found it cute, "I like watching their sparkle. Some days they glow more than others, I like to think that maybe they had a good day and that's why their sparkle is so bright... so, if I have a bad day I turn to the brightest stars and let them warm me up."

"And on good days?" Jake questioned softly.

"Then I look towards the dull stars, try and give them some of my sparkle," Millie casually shrugged.

A grin spread on Jake's face as he turned his head to look up at the stars. Like Millie had said some was glowing brighter than others, almost overshadowing their dull counterparts. The more he looked the more he understood the warmth the bright stars gave.

It did feel like the bright stars warmed up Jake's skin the same way the sun would do it on a fresh springday, just in the beginning of May. But instead of lighting the whole sky up, the stars only lit up the most important things to them, the one closest by. Just like Millie.

At some point Jake had closed his eyes, engulfing in the comfortable silence that was shared between him and Millie. Shoving an arm under his head he let out a deep hum of content.

The hum had almost woken something in Millie, as if she was reminded that she wasn't alone on the roof, but beside her boyfriend. Under the blanket her hand carefully moved over and grazed Jake's side before she laid her hand on top of his chest in search of his hand.

She found his hand laying on his stomach, feeling his every inhale and exhale as a therapeutic method to calm oneself. Quietly she slid her hand in between the material of Jake's sweater and his hand, intertwining her fingers with his.

"Is my brother giving you a hard time?" Millie quietly questioned making Jake only shrug, "be honest, is he?"

"Nah," Jake shook his head and scrunched up his nose, "he's protective of you, but I think you already know," he excused, "our friendship is still the same, and to be quiet honest I think he would giving me a harder time if I was someone else."

"Probably..." Millie quietly admitted with a small nod before looking back up at the sky, watching teh stars change in their glow with a lively fading or brightening, "if he's too much of a pesticide you tell me and I'll knock some sense into him."

"It's fine Mils," Jake softly assured, "if needed I'll knock sense into him myself."

"You're not gonna fight my brother," Millie reminded and Jake shook his head.

"Nah, I'll tell him my thoughts and then I'll let Riki take over," Jake assured, "I have a sense that Heeseung hyung finds him scary because he's just a tad bit taller than himself."

"It wouldn't even surprise me," Millie shook her head, reaching over to grab a slice of melon.

"Pass me one too," Jake immediately pressed, getting a slice of melon as well.

It was probably because both of them were laying down, but yet none of them thought of was to happen next. Because the melons were as juicy as they are in the spring, the moment they had set their teeth into the melons the juice ran down over their chin, their jaw and down their neck until it hit the pillows they were laying on.

"Ugh, how typical," Millie quickly sat up, using her sleeve to whipe away the juice, meanwhile Jake sat up with a laugh escaping him, while he did teh exact same.

"They're good though," he excused and Millie just nodded as she rubbed at her neck to get completely rid of the melon juice, earning another laugh from Jake once he realized how messy her hair had become in the back.

Discreetly Jake let his hand run from the top of Millie's head and down over the back of her neck to smooth down her hair before she noticed herself what a mess her hair had made in the back.