Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Y/n! You are going to be late!" my mom yelled from downstairs.

I sleepily rubbed my eyes.

"What?"

"Today is the first day of your last year at school!" she said.

I groaned and looked at the time on my phone.

"Shit shit shit" I said while hurriedly getting dressed. I brushed my hair and ran downstairs where I had toast and a glass of milk before going to the bathroom and brushing my hair and teeth. I looked in the mirror to make sure I looked good and took my backpack before running to school.

I had to make a good impression on the first day so I wasn't picked on for the rest of the year. I had a big friend group but I wanted to make an impression on the rest of the students just in case. I wore ripped black skinny jeans, a black long sleeved short shirt that showed a bit of belly and platform Doc Martens (because I'm very short)

Kate, my very best friend, greeted me at the door.

"Come on! You're late" she said, putting an arm around my shoulder and walking me inside.

"I know! I didn't hear the alarm. In fact, I think I didn't even set it" I explained.

"The others are already inside" she said.

We ran to the class and arrived just on time. We got to choose our seats so we all sat at the back of the class. The tables were organised in groups of three so I sat between Kate and Sam in the last row. Beca and Jack sat with another classmate in the group of tables at our left and Alex and Liz sat in front of us.

The English teacher, Ms Williams, like it said on the whiteboard, started to talk. I had never seen her here before and for what I understood, all the teachers were new this year except a few.

"It's very nice to finally meet you! I'm Ms Williams and I'll be your English teacher this year. First, I'll take attendance"

I sat back and waited. My name was the last one in the list so I just took my phone and checked if I had any notifications while Ms Williams took attendance.

"Elizabeth Barnes?"

"Just call me Liz" she said.

"Sam Davis?"

"Here"

"Emily Evans?" a girl in the second row raised her hand.

"Okay. Um... Claire King?" another girl raised her hand.

"Zac Smith?" a boy raised his hand.

"Katherine Lynn?"

Kate raised her hand and said:

"You can call me Kate"

"Okay"

After a few more friends, some students I knew and some complete strangers, my turn came.

"Y/n Y/l/n?"

"That's me" I said.

"And that is everyone! Take out your textbook and notebooks. It's the first day so we are going to start light by reading a little text and answering some simple questions" she said, starting to scribble some questions on the whiteboard.

"Go to page 21 and read the short story. Then, you will copy these questions and answer them. If you finish, raise your hand so I can check if your answers are correct. After that, you may do whatever pleases you but without bothering your classmates of course" she finished.

I opened the textbook to find the page with the short story. It was easy to understand and I was pretty good at English so I finished reading it in about five minutes and started answering questions. I finished in about 10 minutes and raised my hand.