Chapter 20

Chapter 20

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Colette's POV

"I-I'm... okay" Lizzie mumbled before collapsing onto the floor.

Panic struck and everyone stopped working to approach Lizzie.

"Everyone! Back to your positions! Hope, control the kitchen please" I instructed, kneeling down. Hope took control of the kitchen and everyone went back to their positions, stealing some glances at Lizzie.

I checked her breathing but I couldn't feel any air. She wasn't breathing...

"Hope!" I desperately called "Call 911 NOW!"

I lifted her chin to open the airway and started the chest compressions. Her face remained neutral as if she couldn't think or react to anything as if she was...

"Yeah. We're at the restaurant 'Goût du ciel' at xxxx street" Hope said into the phone. She went silent for a second listening to the person at the other side of the line.

"My boss is giving her chest compressions right now. Okay. Thank you" she hung up.

"They're on their way. They told me that you need to continue giving her CPR until they arrive"

"Okay, thank you. Please take the lead in the kitchen and keep on cooking. Our customers are hungry" I said, finishing the 30th compression.

Everyone went back to work and I lifted Lizzie's chin a bit more and closed her nose to give her mouth to mouth as a help on breathing.

"Come on" I said while repeating the compressions "hang in there"

I heard the sirens of the ambulance and sighed. I sealed her lips with mine and blew air into her lungs one last time before going back to the final compressions. Some doctors came in from the back door with an ambulance cot. They carefully lifted Lizzie onto the cot and carried her outside.

"Can I come?" I asked a doctor.

"Are you a member of her family?"

"I'm a very close friend of hers" I said.

"Okay. Come in" he opened the back door of the ambulance for me and I got in to sit next to Lizzie right away.

I held her hand as the ambulance sped through the streets to the nearest hospital. They took her to a room I wasn't allowed in as the code blue alarm blared. Lizzie's heart wasn't beating. I sat at a chair outside that room and tears streamed down my face. I sniffled as I heard the doctors doing chest compressions and yelling "Clear" before shocking her with the paddles.

After some time, they got her out of the room and put her in a normal hospital room.

"You're allowed in now. I'm going to call her parents" the nurse said.

"Thank you" I answered, rushing towards Lizzie. She was breathing and the heart rate monitor showed slow but regular heartbeats.

"Miss Tatou, I'm Miss Barnes's doctor, Dr Hartzler" the doctor introduced himself. He seemed to be my age and had a slight accent from around southern California besides golden tan skin. He was handsome and he must have been a brilliant student to be a doctor that young.

"Could you tell me what happened to her?" I asked.

"After you tell me exactly what you saw, I can tell you. I need information for the records" he said.

"Well, She's a chef in my restaurant, Goût de Ciel. I was checking up on everyone and I saw that she was very pale and when she started saying that she was fine, she fainted. The sous chef told me that she went to the storage room for a bit before that because she wasn't feeling well" I explained everything I knew.