Chapter 57

Chapter 57

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Pippa's POV

What was she doing here?!

"Sara?!"

"Pippa! You're okay!" She rushed to me and pulled me into a hug.

"Sara, what the hell are you doing here?" I asked while Lizzie just watched with a confused look on her face.

"Why, I came to visit you" she replied "you weren't replying to my texts and I found out from one of my contacts that you were in this hospital so I came here to see if you were okay. I still worry about you"

I cleared my throat.

"I'm sorry" I turned to Lizzie "can you give us a moment, please?"

"Um... yes, of course" she gave my hand a little squeeze and went out of the room, closing the door behind her.

When I was sure she couldn't see or hear us, I turned to Sara again.

"Sara... We're over. You were someone to lean on when Steven was being overwhelming, it was a little affair and it ended the moment he asked me about it, okay? He almost found out what we were doing behind his back while I was engaged to him and God knows what he would have done to me if he found out the truth. I'm not ready to do it again, and less with Lizzie. She's good"

There was a small silence as she lowered her head and raised it again.

"I'm sorry. I know it was my fault that he almost found out and I needed some closure but you never gave me the chance to have it, the chance to say goodbye. You just shut me off" she replied.

I drove my gaze to my hands, which were fidgeting on my lap.

"I'm happy you've found someone, Pip. I really am. I just-..." she took a deep breath "I was scared to lose you before I could apologize or see you happy again..." her eyes teared up when she met my gaze again, causing mine to do the same.

"I am happy, Sara. I just pushed you away because... I was scared that I would do it again... cheat on someone... I can't even stand the thought of it anymore and you..." I raised a hand to cup her cheek and dry her tears with my thumb "you are so beautiful... When I see you I just want to do it again but I couldn't possibly betray Lizzie like that... I think I'm happy" I looked away and started taking my hand back but she stopped me, covering it with her own and leaning into it.

"I-... I understand. Yes, I'll stay away for a while, but please call me someday so we can have a proper chat. I would still like to be friends with you" she gave my palm a tender kiss and my eyes filled with tears from the overwhelming memories.

"I'd like that" was all I could bring myself to say.

"Get better soon, Pip" she let my hand go and leaned down to give me a quick kiss on my cheek before leaving.

"Thank you" I whispered, softly grazing the spot on my cheek her lips had just brushed.

Lizzie came in again, following Sara with her gaze. Then she turned to me.

"Who was that?" she asked.

"My ex..." I lowered my eyes.

"Your ex?"

"The person I was with her is not who I am anymore... I was engaged once" I started telling her "His name was Steven and... I thought I was happy but I could feel that I wasn't, until one day I met Sara. She had recently gone through a tough breakup and after some drinks, we went to her apartment and... Well, I hadn't felt that happy in a long time so we started meeting up behind Steven's back. I also found out that he was sleeping with a bunch of other women but I didn't dare to confront him since I was practically doing the same thing..." I sighed and took a deep breath.