Chapter 35

Chapter 35

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Nadine's POV

"Why did you, Nadine?!" Pippa's mascara was running down with tears.

"Look I'm sorry I left you but you have to keep quiet. We don't want your good reputation to be ruined if someone finds out what happened" I said, carefully getting closer to her.

"But why did you... leave me?" she asked, quieter and between sobs.

"I just... I don't do relationships" I said, flatly.

"And what's Lizzie? Will you leave her after a couple weeks too?" Pippa's tear stained face looked back at me.

"I- I don't know. She's different. She's..."

"Special?" she finished for me, giving me a sad smile.

"Yeah" I mumbled.

"I'm so tired of this" she mumbled, walking away "She's really nice and all but I thought I was special too... I felt something for you and you just started acting differently. You distanced yourself from me and that hurt me in so many ways" she said, tightly holding one of her wrists, leading me to suspect what she had done "But I had to act happy because the image that everyone has of me is a ray of sunshine and the happiest human on earth so I started acting outside my job too... It's so tiring Nadine..."

"I-I..." I didn't know how to respond to that.

"Okay then..." she dried her tears when we heard hurried footsteps nearing.

She took a deep breath.

"Back to acting" She sadly said, putting a smile on her face to open the door to a happy Lizzie.

"They loved it!" she squealed.

"I'm glad, Lizzie girl" Pippa smiled wider, not a sign of the Pippa that was yelling at me just a moment ago. She's really an amazing actress.

The talk between Lizzie and Pippa was interrupted by a knock at the door. Pippa opened the door and a smiley Lin handed her a letter.

"This arrived today for you" He said.

"Thanks" Pippa flashed him a smile and waved goodbye as he went back to his dressing room.

"What is that?" Lizzie asked, from the couch, surrounded by the blue of her dress.

"I don't know" Pippa shrugged before opening the envelope.

She read the content quickly and her jaw dropped.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I- I was nominated for a Lucille Lortel Award" she said, a hand partially covering her mouth in surprise "I have to tell the cast!" she disappeared behind the door.

"Is that a big thing?" Lizzie asked.

"Yeah, it's the biggest award for off-Broadway productions" I explained, still thinking of Pippa's confrontation.

The truth is that I would have stayed with her longer but she built herself such a good reputation. If someone found out she was dating me, a straight up heartbreaker, that image that she worked so hard to build would be ruined. She was so attached to me so I just treated her as a friend from then on. She went along and I thought we were fine until today. I didn't know she felt that way...

"Are you okay?" Lizzie asked, approaching me and cupping my cheeks.

"Yeah, yeah. Everything's alright" I focused on Lizzie's green eyes. So different from Pippa's brown ones. She gave me a kiss on the cheek and pulled away with a cheeky smile.