Chapter 36

Chapter 36

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Amy's POV

Next morning I was awakened by the sound of a weapon being cocked and nudging my shoulder. I opened my eyes and looked at the man with the shotgun pointed at me.

"Good mornin'" He said, with a southern accent.

"Morning" I greeted back, raising my hands in the air but still laying down

"You're sleeping in my sheep pen" he pointed out.

"Sorry" I apologized.

He lowered the gun and I could move again, taking the backpack that I used as a pillow into my arms.

"How'd you get here?" he asked as I stood up.

"I walked" I replied, swinging my backpack onto my shoulder.

"You walked?"

"Yeah"

"From where?" He seemed genuinely confused.

"Town" I answered, remembering where I had left my car.

"Nearest town's 15 kilometers" he objected.

"Maybe that's why I'm exhausted" I breathed out, trying to sound casual.

I was about to head out when he talked again.

"What's your name?" he said.

"Annie" I lied.

He half-smiled.

"You hungry Annie?" he asked.

Well, I couldn't say no.

He invited me inside and cooked eggs and bacon.

"So, you wanna tell me why you're trespassing on my property?" he asked.

"I ran out of money" I simply answered as he poured me some tea.

"I graduated from college and figured I'd see the world" I started making up a whole story "I wanted to travel through different states to finally say that I've been to all fifty states of the US. But I don't know anyone here so I figured I'd walk for a while. I had to leave my car in Nashville. I ran out of gas."

"Nashville is 100 kilometers from here" the old man tilted his head in confusion.

"I like walking" I shrugged.

"And you just happened to wander onto my farm?"

"I like farms too" I took a bite from a piece of bread.

"Right" he looked away "just eat the food and be gone"

I smiled. I could find a station around maybe and get a ticket somewhere.

"Is there a station nearby?" I asked.

"Yeah, There's one a few kilometers south. I'll drive you there if you want. It's not that long and I could take a little break from the work in the farm to get ya there" he offered.

"Thanks. That would be nice"

I finished breakfast and got into his car. He played some Patsy Cline music on the radio while we drove and stared at the road in silence, as did I. A few minutes into the drive he couldn't stop repetitively looking in the rearview mirror.

"What are you looking at?" I asked, looking at the mirror myself.

"Oh, nothing" he shrugged it off but I saw a black car behind us, always keeping the same distance. Police. Shit. I guess news do travel fast after all.