20: Car Chase

"Car Chase"

I bet the guards stationed around our house must have concluded me crazy after hours of berating them for not letting me out to see my mother. Blake was no exclusion. He had tried to pacify me but it worked nothing.

I was a nervous wreck.

What caused the accident?

Last I checked, mum wasn't a reckless driver. Maybe it was another stupid excuse of a human that ran into her car.

A lot of what ifs crossed my mind as I paced about in the kitchen.

Gemma entered and flashed me an apologetic look. I just let her embrace me and rub soothing lines on my back.

"She'll be fine."

I believed.

Winston and Chad appeared next with interlocked fingers. Charlie had left at some point but the three remained. However, they hid themselves away from my mental breakdown until the coast was clear.

"You look like shit." Chad commented, grunting when Winston nudged him.

"Shut up, idiot." He hissed.

Sighing, I pulled away from Gemma. "You're supposed to be comforting me, Chad."

He hangs his head with shame. "I'm sorry."

Impressed, Winston shuffles his hair. I turn to Gemma. "For your sakes, I hope you saved my mozzarella sticks."

Gemma chuckled and pulled open a  cabinet. I ripped the packaging and dug straight in while my friends gawked at me.

When we moved to the living room, dad was already walking in,  completely devastated. His tie was undone and his suit jacket was nowhere on him.

I rushed forward. He managed a small smile for my sake, wrapping his arms around me.

"How's mum?"

"She's in the hospital."

"Yeah, that's all the information I needed, dad." I say sarcastically.

He grimaces. Blake shows up beside me and tugs on my hand.

" Later, Haze."

💭💭💭

A loud thunder jolts me out of my sleep. Checking the neon red digits on my digital clock, I reckoned the time to be 5:43a.m

But why am I awake by this time?

Although it's Friday, a school day, I'm never up before six.

Impulsively, I feel around for my phone. It's hidden under the pillow.

There are a couple of messages from the group chat with my friend.

Ilovebrownies: I'm dressing up as wonder woman this year halloween  (00:54 a.m)

Chadz: I'll go as grim reaper

Grim Reaper, that's cool. I'm not even sure dad would let me out of the house until everything is fixed.

Sighing, I scrolled to Shawn's contact. I haven't seen him in days.

The call went to his voicemail so I sent him a text message.

call me when you see this. and you better have a reasonable explanation for your absence

Sighing, I glanced at the rain pouring in sheets outside my window.