28: Stress and Onions

'Stress and Onions'

Not knowing what to make of Philip's strange behavior, I continued munching, staring occasionally at Philip's empty chair. When a moment had passed,  Maya mumbled an 'excuse me' and went out through the door.

After the dinner which was okay despite the little act put up by Philip, Adeline and Gabriel said they'll be back and disappeared through the same door.

I spent a couple of minutes engaging in a discussion with Alice and later, I allowed Peter drive me back home.

"Good night angel." Peter said while we were still in his car. I gave him a smile and he leaned over to me.

"You know, I love you." He continued. His little statement rekindled the fire in my body. He kissed my cheek and finally allowed me to step out of his car.

"Will you be free tomorrow evening?"

"Yes?" my reply came out more like a question and I raised a brow at him.

"Just be ready by six, I'm taking you somewhere, it's a surprise."

"Where?"

"Somewhere."

I rolled my eyes at his reply.

"Just tell me already." I whined and he smirked.

"No, if I do, it wouldn't be a surprise anymore."

I shook my head and waved at him before he drove. I continued smiling to myself like an idiot and I didn't notice Tamara standing at the door with her hands wide open. I walked right into her and she grunted.

"Ow!" I rubbed my forehead as I jolted back to the real world.

"Do look where you're going." She scolded and I sighed, slipping into the house.

"How did it go?"

I sighed as I recounted everything that happened at The Ross's to her though I left out the part about Philip storming out halfway through dinner.

"So he was there? Why?" she demanded.

"Why wouldn't he be? he's Peter's brother, have you forgotten?"

"Oh, I did forget." She scratched her head and rose from the sofa she was seated on.

She turned on the T.V and put on a movie.

"Care to join me?" she offered and for once I was interested in watching a movie with her. I hated movies of any kind and no don't hate me, I'm not a boring person.

I detested movies because most of the movies I've watched ended up with my favorite actors dying and I hated the sadness that comes with their death.

The movie Tam put on was titled Broken vows. It was about a woman who had a one night stand with a psychotic man who fell in love with her (like he's capable of loving). After she left in the morning all be could think about was her, but unfortunately she was engaged.
Well, it turned out that the psychotic man confronted her and professed his love for her but she rejected him and that made him really mad and he was pent on destroying everything around her including her fiance. In the end, she shot him and all her troubles were over. There, you have your happy ending. Right.

"That's a good one." I commented as the movie ended. I turned to Tamara who was dozing off whilst slouched in the sofa. I tapped her arm and she sat upright.

"Hmm?" she wiped her eyes with the back of her palm.

"You were dozing off." I yawned, stretching my hands above my head.

"No I wasn't, that should be you." She disagreed and I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever you say, I'm going up." I stood up and walked to my room.

💭💭💭

I waltzed into the kitchen to meet my mom chopping an onion. Why me?  I internally gagged and scrunched up my face in disgust as the characteristic prickly smell reached my nose.

"Good morning mom." I walked to her side and placed a kiss on her cheek, trying hard to ignore the smell of onions.

"Morning baby." she replied and transferred the chopped onions to a plate. She picked up a tomato and began chopping it too.

"Where's Tam?" I asked.

Today being Saturday, I expected to see her curled up on the sofa reading, or typing away on her phone or in the kitchen cooking up something. She took cooking classes a few years back and took a sudden liking to the kitchen.

"Where's Tam?"

"She had to go somewhere with Michael, he wanted to introduce her to a couple of his friends."

Nodding, I poured myself a glass of water and took a sip. I left the cup on the counter behind me and stared out the window overlooking a couple of trees.

"I came in a little later than usual yesterday."

My mom said, allowing water run out of the tap in the sink. She washed her hands thoroughly and wiped them with a napkin.

"Mom, I hope you aren't overworking yourself?" I noticed the lines that stretched across her forehead. I know she'll deny it but she's definitely stressing herself.

"No, I'm not, I'm fine." She moved to the coffee maker and made herself a cup of coffee.

"Mom, you aren't fine, look, there are lines on your forehead." I pointed at her head.

Mom sighed as she looked at herself in the mirror before her, probably agreeing with me.

"I have no choice baby. As long as it puts food on the table and caters for our needs."

I sighed and stared admirably at my mother. She was so strong and I couldn't imagine any woman as strong as her, managing lots of fashion stores spread around the country.

I walked over to her and took her hand in mine, she smiled, placing her cup of coffee down and taking my other hand in hers.

"Mom," I began . "It's true that everything you do is for our good, but once in awhile or even regularly, you should take a break, so that your health wouldn't deteriorate."

"Who'll manage my stores then?"

"You worry too much mom, I can help you out if you want, show me a couple of things and I'll help. You wouldn't have to worry about anything else." I offered and her eyes lit up with happiness.

"You'll do that for me?"

I'll do anything for you mom.

I nodded and she embraced me with so much joy and love.

Hey there lovelies, thanks for reading this chapter.
I decided to add a little Mother and Child time, hope you like it.

I'll greatly adore every little comment, it helps me improve this book more to fit you my friends, therefore don't hesitate in commenting. Constructive criticisms are welcome too.

I dedicate this chapter to kwon_butterfly AliciaTookes blare_spark_2005 dana4713 Candice_Is_Crazy and hakunabooktata