13: Hawaiian Sunset

Mr Philip's Penthouse
6:00p.m

After the little discussion with Mia, I helped her prepare dinner which was entirely an Hawaiian dish and from what she told me, that was one of Philip's favorite Hawaiian foods.

While we prepared for dinner, Mia told me a lot of stories about her early days in Hawaii. Her parents died in an unfortunate plane crash leaving her with the huge responsibility of taking care of their family businesses. Years after she met Philip's mother in College, she got married to her husband who temporarily relocated to China because of the nature of his job. He worked for a pharmaceutical company based in China and it was necessary for him to leave for China.

After he left, Mia became more lonely as she hadn't had the chance to bear children before her husband traveled out. Despite being surrounded with so much money, she wasn't content with all she had, so she gave out everything to charity and lived the simple life she was living as a member of Philip's household.

While she spoke, I noticed a few drops of tears fall to her blouse and it filled me with so much compassion at her emotional moment.

I sat at the kitchen island and paid close attention to her story.

After dinner was prepared, I went upstairs to the balcony where I could observe the sunset.

I wondered where Mr. Philip was as I hadn't set my eyes on him since he introduced me to Mia. The cool evening breeze soothed me as I stared at the horizon wishing mom and Tamara were here to witness the beautiful Hawaiian sunset.

"What are you doing?" I turned around to catch a glimpse of Philip whose hands were hidden in the pockets of his sweatpants. The glow cast by the sunset modified the features of his face making him a little more handsome.

" I just..I just.." I stuttered and stopped talking to save myself from further embarrassment.

I hate awkward moments.

"You just what?" He asked, staring intently at me.

"The sunset here, it's beautiful." I commented, whilst avoiding his searching eyes which in their journey around my body made my legs feel like jelly.

Philip took quick steps forward and placed a hand on the rail, his eyes still staring at me.

"Yes it is... Come down, dinner is served."

I walked out of the balcony and downstairs towards the dinning room adjoining the kitchen.

Mia had already laid out the dishes. A plate of different fruits were on one side of the table. and a plate of rice and seafood was on the other side.

I settled into a chair, and Mr. Philip did the same in a chair opposite mine.

Mr Philip occasionally stared questioningly at me during the meal and I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, swallowing my food with so much difficulty.  After dinner, my phone rang and I rushed to the balcony to answer It, relieved at escaping the tension hanging around.

"Hello baby." My mom's calm voice flew I smiled and gave her my response.

"Hi mom."

"How are you doing baby?"

"Fine mom, you good over there?"

"Yeah, So, Hawaii? I heard how your boss carted you away."

"Hawaii's beautiful mom, I never expected it to be this beautiful, and the sunset-" I sighed dreamily. "-It's breathtaking."

My mom sighed over the phone and I heard Tamara yelling in the background. A cough from behind me distracted me, I spun around to see Mr. Philip smiling at me, his hands folded on his chest. Distractedly, I smiled back at him and listened to what my mom was saying.