36: In Charge

'In Charge'

Mom was still in a critical condition when I stopped by at the hospital, although Doctor Michelle said her condition was a little bit more stable than before.

I flopped down on a sofa in the living room and allowed my gaze wander around the living room, it landed on the DVD player, the LCD Television, the center table, and different pictures of my family suspended from the wall.

There were pictures of my grandparents who I never got to see as they died before I was born, even Tamara did not get to meet them.

Mom's family wasn't a large one, apart from her 'cheating' younger sister, she had a brother, Uncle Donald who resided in Japan with his family. Few of her cousins were scattered throughout America, but we never got to meet them.

Tamara had left for work, and the house was really quiet, not a scary kind of quiet, it was just peaceful, and I loved it that way.

Before this incident happened, I know Tamara would have called to find out how her baby sister is doing, and all that. But with everything that's happened, she's not herself anymore, it's just like the real 'her' travelled to someplace and isn't thinking of returning.

If she's not calling me, I'm going to call her. I dialed her number on my phone and raised it to my ear.

"Hello, Flor," her voice lacked its usual confidence, it was hoarse, like she just finished crying.

"Hey Sis, how you holding up?"

She sighed in response.

"I'm trying hard enough, but I'm not strong enough, I'm sorry."

I twisted my lips in confusion.

"You don't need to be sorry about anything, it's not your fault, it's not mine, it's not mom's..."

I could sense her nodding her head in her office, with her legs crossed and her slender fingers twirling around her hair. Don't see it as weird stuff, but it's just the strong connection between the two of us, we could sense what either of us is doing at a particular time, it's just like we send telepathic messages to ourselves all the time, but we don't, I'm certain about that.

"What's going to happen to Amanda's Empire?"

"I received a call and when I went over, Mr. Adam...is it? Told me I'll have to take charge of everything for now... I don't know how to feel about it, I feel like hell..." I crossed my ankle over my knee and slouched in the sofa.

"You're feeling like hell? How do you know what hell feels like... It's hot, except you are." She let out a low chuckle and I was grateful to have cheered her up.

"Of course I'm hot..." I suspected she meant something else, but I couldn't lay my hands on on what it was.

"Ha!"

The real meaning of her words dropped into my head from a helicopter and I snickered.

"Glad to know that you're finally back."

"I'm not the bark of a tree."

I rolled my eyes and smiled goofily to myself .

"Come on, you know what I mean." I groaned and rubbed my forehead.

"If you're mean, you're average, where are your numbers?"

"Really now...stop it Tam." I protested weakly and she laughed loudly at my weak protest, making me scoff.