3: Cat Got Your Tongue?

Day 2 of the ultimatum.
Time:10:00a.m

'Cat Got Your Tongue?'

With brisk strides, Mr. Adam, Beatrice and I walked into Nicholas Corporation.

We entered an elevator and headed to the second floor where the conference room was located.

Stacy spotted us as soon as we got off the elevator, and made confident steps towards us. My eyes travelled all over her outfit; a carefully ironed white shirt tucked into a black pencil skirt and a pair of black stilettos on her feet.

"Come this way please..." Came her firm voice. She regarded me contemptuously before shifting her gaze to Mr. Adam.

"Call me Stacy, I'm Mr. Ross' secretary." She chirped in as we followed her. Her speech for the benefit of the persons walking beside me.

We stopped walking when we came to a large tiled space where other men and women were waiting for the meeting to commence. Stacy turned to eye Beatrice maliciously and Beatrice managed a smirk.

"Ah, Florence, it's you..." Stacy said impudently like she was seeing me for the first time . I pursed my lips, fiddling with the folder in my hand. Mr Adam turned to a man standing beside him  and held a little discussion  with him.

"Always tagging along, you'll never change." Stacy twisted her lips wickedly, making Beatrice turn to me in annoyance, probably wondering why I didn't talk back.

"That's the head of Amanda Empire you're talking to." Beatrice spat, making Stacy blink and gape at me with her lips parted.

Cat got your tongue?

Beatrice's statement was true in a way, but I wasn't the head of Amanda Empire, my mom still is. Despite my thoughts, I gave Stacy the most charming smile I could afford, making her move her legs in discomfort.

"If that's the case.. then, I...I." She spoke in a shaky voice,  recovering from her initial shocked state..

"I hope you'll refrain from running your  mouth near her again." Beatrice snapped, making Stacy purse her lips and lower her head in utter humiliation. I tactfully gripped Beatrice's hand to force back the imminent outpour of hate-filled words.

Stacy stealthily crept away from us, to converse with other people around us.  Mr. Adam's conversation with the stranger ended and he carefully rotated on his feet to face Beatrice and I.

"The meeting will start..." He paused to look at his phone held in between his fingers.

"The meeting will commence  in a few minutes, you may  all proceed to the conference room."  Stacy spoke in a  high-pitched voice which caused  all eyes to fall on her, just like she always wanted. 

After her short talk ended, the gentleman and ladies together with us made unhurried steps to the conference room where we sat on different swivel chairs at the large U-shaped conference table.

Subsequent to our entry into the room which was properly  illuminated and sufficiently aired,  the owner of Nicholas Corporation walked in together with his dad, Gabriel and their bodyguards trailing behind them,  bearing those ear-thingies on their ears.  All of them were extremely handsome,  wearing flawless suits and shining shoes.  My eyes trained on Philip who whispered some words into Gabriel's ear and I shamelessly captured the movement of his lips in slow motion and fell into a satisfying trance.

It was extremely difficult for me to believe that  Philip was the same person that spent a considerable amount of time at the orphanage with me, playing with the kids like his life depended on it.