29: Sudden Attraction

We have less than six chapters to the end of this story. I've had a great time writing Florence's and Hazel's story.

Hopefully getting closure on this one will help me focus on the new stories I'm working on.

Sudden Attraction’

*

HEY, HAZEL RIGHT?”A girl from my class approaches me while I'm checking my locker.

I smile. “Yes?”

Her brown hair even in a pony tail reaches down to her waist. “My name is Reanne. I'm a member of the school's female team.”It explains her fit physique. “Are you interested in joining us?”

“I haven't joined a single sports team in my life, Reanne. I might not fit in.”My cheeks burn red but she seems not to mind my inexperience in sports.

“Well, that's the reason why you should join one now. We meet everyday after school, four to five. We're in Gym two. You'll come right?”Her lively eyes and charisma are hard to resist so I agree.

After exchanging numbers with me, she leaves and another person appears.

Zion.

“Hazel.” He leans against the locker and crosses his arms which make his muscle strain against his shirt.

Plus his new haircut, it gives him a whole bad boy vibe. Well, there are no tatoos in sight.

“Diana asked you to stay away from me.”

Zion is unimpressed. He leans in, eyes boring into mine.“You, what do you want?”

I break eye contact with him. “I'm not so sure.”

“I'm not so bad like they paint me to be.”

“But if everyone is avoiding you, it's probably for a good reason.”I retort.

A frown distorts his face. “You want to know the reason why?”

This boy is persistent for sure. Why won't he leave me alone and go bother some other girl who cares.

“No, I don't. It's your business, not mine.”His lips press into a thin line that shows disappointment. “Look, Zion. I'm not usually one to care about other people's opinions but I came here for a new start, I don't need any drama.”

I'm wary about him because it's the same way Levi came up to me and charmed his way into my heart.

First time's mistake is a mistake, second time is foolishness.

Dad always taught me never to make the same mistake twice, and I won't.

Levi's actions had planted a seed of distrust forever in my heart.

Never again.

“Let me guess, he broke your heart?”I laugh at his assumption which is kind of true.

“He tried to kill me.”

The bell rings and I shut my locker before walking away.

At lunch, Diana pulls me to her and Allistair's table.

After an unhealthy amount of muffins, I relax in my chair.

“Any problems so far?”Allistair asks, biting into his croissant. Diana is also stuffing her face.

“None except Zion.”Diana chokes and Allistair thumps her back multiple times.  She takes a drink of her orange juice.

“What did he say?”Allistair queries.