32: Love Hurts Pt 1.

'Love Hurts Pt 1'

The next day, Tanya and me found ourselves at the Starbucks close to my former house. Alice said she'd be joining us in a few minutes because something came up and she couldn't avoid it.

"Girl, where did you run off to? It's been forever. "

I took my eyes away from the clear glass table and focused them on Tanya. "Well, I didn't run off as you put it." I smiled and took a sip of my espresso.

Tanya shook her head in disbelief. "Really? Then explain where you've been for a week now..." Her eyes lit up as an idea (probably a mischievous one) hit her, "...Or were you having a nice time with my cousin?" She shook her brows at me.

"Tanya..." I began with a sigh, "I was not having a nice time with your cousin as you put it." I knew my speech was insufficient to deter Tanya.

She folded her hands on her chest. "My cousin went MIA and you too, what else could be an excellent explanation?"

I didn't think about giving her an answer instead, I wondered where Philip went off to.

Before Tanya could query me again, I sighted Alice outside the building from the transparent glass behind Tanya. In a few minutes, she reached our table breathing like she just finished a marathon.

"Sorry I'm late..." She rearranged her yellow flowery top before sitting next to her Tanya who gave me an accusing glare before exchanging a few sentences with Alice.

"Do you need anything ma'am?" A male voice spoke above my head. We all lifted our eyes to the young man who had a big smile on his face.

"No, I don't need any more caffeine in my system. Thank you." Alice dismissed him.

Puzzled, I turned to Tanya who had a matching expression.

"Were you up all night?" Tanya enquired, peering into Alice's face. It was then my eyes settled on the eye bags beneath her lower eyelids.

Looks like someone's been busy.

"Yeah?" I smirked at the way Alice's cheek turned a bright red. To cover it up, she placed her phone on the table and put her messy hair in order.

Tanya caught the blush and grinned in response but I doubted her knowledge was accurate. I figured Alice had been busy with her brother's stupid plans for my family. Thinking about their discussion in the graveyard gave me goosebumps and at the same time I had this weird feeling. How weird could it be that you knew that something bad could happen at any time?

I erased my thoughts quickly and hoped neither of the cousins noticed me space out.

"You were about telling me something earlier, what was it?" I asked Tanya whose eyes were transfixed on her finger nails. From the way her lips turned down, I knew for sure that the piece of information was far from pleasant.

Alice in hearing my words looked up from her phone in sheer curiosity.

"One of my customers mistook me for a worker there. You know what he said?" She demanded.

"No, we weren't there, remember?" Alice replied, earning a punch on her arm. She winced and rubbed the spot.

"Like I was saying, he called me ' little one '. He said 'little one, could you get me one of those suits there', how outrageous" Tanya made funny gestures with her hands as she described what had happened.

Instead of sharing her displeasure, I found her little story quite funny. I struggled to conceal my amusement, but it was too late.

"No, don't you dare laugh. It ain't funny." Tanya warned with a glare on her face.

I laughed but it was the silent kind that leaves you shaking all over. I placed my hands over my stomach and continued trembling.

Looking Tanya over, I realized that truly she was lacking in the height department and could be mistaken for a teenager meanwhile she was a bit over twenty. No wonder the stranger didn't suspect that she's the owner of the fashion store.

"Sorry." I apologized after recovering.

Tanya scoffed. "I thought you'd be better."

"Leave Florence alone." Alice nudged her cousin with her shoulder. Then she yawned and slapped her palm over her outstretched lips.

"Tell me something else, Alice...Like what even goes on at Nicholas Corporation." I demanded. Tanya didn't waste any time in responding even if my speech wasn't directed at her.

"Oh yes! The bitchy P.A that your boyfriend employed." She sat upright with contempt showing in her eyes.

Alice sighed and tried to shoo her to silence without raising my suspicions. But already, my curiosity was already at a dangerously high level.

"He has a new P. A?" My eyes moved to Alice who suddenly found her bracelet fascinating. She didn't answer instead, Tanya did.

"Yeah, she came in a few days ago," Tanya scrunched up her nose, "...and she's a real meanie, a volcano can take root on her head. Gosh! Her temper can exceed that of a bull. I remember bumping into her when I visited Philip, she went as far as calling me his personal sex toy..." Tanya looked ready to strangle the object of her discussion. Tanya was a free-spirited person, therefore seeing her like this meant that the situation was really bad.

"Was it that bad?" Alice shared my suprise.

Tanya only nodded but I knew she was seething inside.

"Well, how about I go over to that stuck up female dog and give her a piece of my mind."

Their eyes widened. " No don't!" They yelled. When a few heads turned in our direction, we apologized for our inappropriate behavior. Unfortunately, a few people recognized me and started taking pictures at which I sighed resignedly.

"Why?" I replied with raised brows, eyeing Alice's phone and cooking up strategies to get it away from her fingers.

Alice and Tanya adjusted in their seats but they kept mute. I sensed something was off but I suppressed my thoughts.

"Oh Alice... " She gazed at me. "I left my phone at home, do you mind if I borrow your phone for a moment, I need to call my mom."

Tanya cleared her throat. "You never forget your phone, you're addicted to it remember?"

I rolled my eyes and laughed at her words. She was kinda right and I was lying. My phone was perched safely in my purse and I hoped no person decides to call at this moment, that'd be a disaster.

"You can have my phone." Unsuspecting, Alice shoved her phone towards me. She turned to her cousin and started up a conversation with her.

Quickly, I scanned her contacts for one name. There was no name under the letter P other than Philip and Paul. Scrolling up to M, I found ' My Brother ' at the top of the list.

After stealing a glance at Alice who was still occupied, I memorized the number and trusted my memory not to fail me till I got outside the building. When I was done, I cleared the contacts App from Alice's recent activity and proceeded to contact my mom.

"Hey mom." I spoke when my mom accepted my call.

Stage one of my mission was completed, now the next mission consisted of me finding out what my boyfriend was up to.

I have never rushed a chapter like this in all my writing history, I know there might be several errors, pardon them for just today... 😰😰😰

But I hope it's okay all the same...

I just published it for an ardent reader who urged me to do so even when I felt discouraged to. Thank you very much sweetheart.

And, the second part of this chapter will be up later tomorrow. I just couldn't sleep without dropping an update.

Who wants to find out what our dear Philip is doing? Get ready for a rollercoaster ride in the next part. Hold on tight!

Okay, that's enough, I've got to sleep now, it's way past my bedtime...😝😝