21: Games and Threats

'Games and Threats'

"Maya?" I clutched my chest and heaved a sigh of relief.

"You scared me."

"That's exactly what I intended."

OK, now that's weird.

"What do you want?"

"Nothing else but you leaving Philip alone."

I shook my head in disbelief.

"Is this the reason why you came all the way from Hawaii?"

"I'll watch my back if I were you, stay away from my man."

"Now, this is really funny, coming from the girl that cheated on him with his brother, don't you think so?"

Her eyes widened and she took three steps away from me.

"How do you know?"

"A bad deed is never hidden babe."

Before she could make another word, I heard the door behind me open.

Tamara regarded Maya for a few seconds. "Hello." She smiled at her but I knew she wouldn't if if she was aware of who was standing before her.

"Tamara, meet Maya..."

Tamara frowned. "The one who your ex-boyfriend cheated with? Oh babe... you don't know how badly I've wanted this day to come." My sister planted herself between us.

Maya flipped her hair back in arrogance. "Keep out of this conversation and I assure you of your safety."

"Keep standing here and I assure you, you'll have no legs to stand with."

Nice one Tam.

Maya gave one last look at me before she brought out her ringing phone from her bag.

"Hello Pete."

Tamara and I exchanged confused looks.

"I'll be on my way." Maya hung up and returned her gaze to Tamara.

"Warn your sister to stay away from my man."

Tamara snickered. "Do you know how lame that sounds? Your man? I don't think so, now get out of here."

Strangely, Maya turned to leave. As we watched her walk away, she turned to us.

"Watch out girls, you don't know what's coming for you."

She walked up to a car that I didn't realize had stopped at the sidewalk. Maya shot us a smile and entered the car which drove off.

What was she up to? Coming here to threaten me and my sister.

"Don't think about it too much." My sister laid her fingers on my shoulder.

"I can't help but be apprehensive. I can't take threats too well after-"

She caught on what I meant and nodded in reply.

She helped me carry the bags into the main house as we talked about the plans for her wedding.

Mom was out on a date with Mr. Adam so an empty house greeted me.

After I had stashed away the items in my sister's walk in closet, I sat on her bed waiting for her to come out of the bathroom where she went to take a shower.

Shortly, she emerged in just her towel and another one wrapped on her hair.

"How many times have I warned you against wrapping a towel around your hair, it makes it frizzy." I scolded, picking up the hair brush she purchased today.