11: Dog Pile

'Dog Pile'
*

*
*

"BLAKE! HAND OVER MY phone." I yelled, chasing my brother down the stairs. He had come into my room with the intention of 'just talking' but sneakily stole my phone and started reading out the messages me and Shawn exchanged last night after I came back from his place.

"Come get it, kitty." He ran towards the dining table.

He did not just call me that. I chased after him and we ran in circles around the table until Blake saw it fit to run towards the kitchen Mom was emerging from with a tray of cookies, he was unable to stop himself and crashed into mom. The tray landed on the floor and the cookies were ruined.

"Oops." I cringed at the nasty frown on my mother's face.

"Shit!" Blake swore.

"What happened here?" Dad said, walking over to us in his sports gear. He looked like he just returned from a  run.

"You three, kitchen." Mom pointed her finger forcefully in the direction of the kitchen.

Dad's face paled. "But-"

"Would you rather go shopping with me?" There was an evil smile adorning her face.

Dad grinned timidly and right away hurried to the kitchen, leaving us laughing our heads off.

To dad, going out shopping with my mom and her friend, Shawn's mom was the worst possible punishment because he would suffer carrying so their shopping bags, that wasn't even the case, sometimes, he would also be forced to dress up in some clothes which were...not so...appropriate.

There was one time, someone took a picture and leaked out out to the tabloids probably for a piece of change. Dad didn't find it a bit funny even if others did, so they took the pictures down after Dad threatened to ruin their business.

"What are you waiting for, kitchen, now!" My mom had this ridiculous facial expression and I couldn't help but snicker as I bypassed her. She whacked me upside my head and pulled Blake by the collar of his shirt to our temporary jailhouse.

"Child abuse." I mumbled.

Mom's eyes  snapped to me. "What did you say?"

"Nothing." I replied.

She gave me the signature 'I've got an eyes on you' gesture before leaving us in the kitchen.

Dad had already tired an apron on and was pouring out some flour into a bowl when he noticed us walk in. He flung two white aprons at me and Blake.

"Let's get to work before she comes back please."

Blake chuckled. I remembered his offence and prodded him with my elbow.

"This was your fault."

Blake laughed and messed with my hair. Before I could hit his head with a frying pan, mom strolled back in and hovered over us while we worked our behinds out to replace her cookies.

*
*
*

"We're going on vacation with the Stuarts." Mom announced casually after bringing out the brownish cookies from the oven.

"What!" I chorused alongside Blake who was just reentering the kitchen. He went up to his room to change his T-shirt, he said he smelt like food and it was irritating.