20: A Kiss To Remember

' A Kiss To Remember '

PETER PARKED in front of a coffee shop and after helping me out of the car, we walked side by side into the shop and joined a long queue at the counter despite the stares and whispers of people seated around.

"How do you get used to so much staring?" I asked in a whisper while we waited patiently in the queue.

"I've just gotten used to it."

I doubted the credibility of what he just said. How could someone get used to being stared at? Right now, the eyes of the people looked ready to drop from their sockets and much to my distaste, some mouths were hanging open.

"Actually, I act like they're nonexistent, I ignore them." He added and moved to the counter when it got to our turn. I joined him there and we ordered. I ordered nothing more than a cup of coffee because I didn't know how to tell Peter I was a vegetarian.

He pulled out a seat for me. I sat on it and placed the cup of coffee on the table in front of me. He sat down opposite me and watched me for awhile.

"I'm a little bit curious about this beautiful lady seated here, I wish she would tell me about herself."

I laughed at his choice of words and he watched me eagerly.

"You did not just say that, did you?"

Peter tapped the table lightly with his fingers after taking a sip of his coffee.

"What would you like to know about this lady," I pointed at my chest.

"Everything." Peter replied and leaned towards me, locking his hypnotizing eyes with mine. I shied away from him in response and he smirked, fully aware of his effect on me.

"I'm Florence Steel...born on the 24th of April 1996."

Peter stared at nothing in particular as he made a mental calculation of my age.

"You're 21?" I nodded and he gestured for me to continue my narrative.

"I was born in Florida, I attended high school there, my university education was done here in New York and... I'm a vegetarian."

"Why didn't you say so?" he asked pointing at the untouched cup of coffee in front of me.

"I couldn't tell you," I looked down at my fingers.

"Florence, look at me."

I raised my eyes to meet his.

"You can tell me anything Florence, I'll listen," he spoke while staring intensely into my eyes. As I stared into his eyes, everything around me disappeared momentarily, my worries faded away too.

We spent the next hours talking about different things, I asked him so many questions and he answered them all truthfully, though I avoided questioning him about his present relationship, it's his personal life and besides, we're just friends right?

He told me he would like me to visit his family someday and I looked forward to that day.

At some point, all good things come to an end, we both reluctantly got into his car and he drove me home.

I replayed the previous events in my head as I stepped into the house, I didn't notice when Tamara snuck up on me.

"Boo!" she yelled, forcing me to scream and jump back in fright. When my adrenaline levels dropped, I faced her.

"Jeez, you scared me, don't ever do that again," I punched her playfully.

"I saved you from walking into the wall." She pointed behind me and I turned to the the wall which fortunately I had escaped crushing my nose against.