8: Unquenchable Fire

' Insight into character comes from listening intently to the spoken word. The physical person, their charisma, charm and dramatic flair is more often used to persuade audiences, as they use these stealth tools of disguise and deception. '
Maximillian Degenerez

💭💭💭

Day 6 of the ultimatum
Time 5:00a.m.

I had just finished consuming a glass of water when my phone vibrated from the counter I momentarily abandoned it at. Connecting Alice's incoming call, I raised my phone to my ear.

"Florence, you have to come over quickly,a fire is raging from the third floor of your mom's company."

Adrenaline pumped through my body causing my heart beat to intensify. My phone slipped from my fingers and landed on the tiled floor with a crash, but I was unaffected by its broken screen. I made a beeline for my bedroom and searched for suitable clothes to wear.

I raked my fingers through my hair and hurried to my dresser to examine my appearance. While I hastily combed my hair, I thought about telling mom about the fire, but my door crashing open halted my thoughts.

"Adam just called me," Was all mom said, running a hand down her face in frustration.

"They've kept to their promise... they want us to pay... " Mom babbled and I breathed deeply, trying to calm my agitated mind so I could effectively calm hers. Swiftly, I waddled over to her and embraced her without seeking her consent.

"Hush mom, It'll be fine, let's head over and see if the situation can be salvaged." I comforted her and led her out of my room.

After yanking mom's car keys off the dining room table and grabbing my damaged phone from the kitchen floor, I rushed out of the house only to be attacked by the chilly morning breeze. I braced myself and hurried to mom's car. Mom appeared a couple of seconds later with two cardigans, I thanked her and accepted one of them. After starting the engine, I wore the fabric and waited for mom to climb into the car beside me

I observed her perturbed facial expression and slowly reached out to lightly squeeze her hand. She smiled at me and then closed her eyes. After taking another deep breath (I'll be needing a lot of those today), I drove to Florence.

A large crowd, including the press was gathered a safe distance away from the main building while the firefighters were battling the hungry flames that had totally engulfed the third floor and was approaching the fourth floor. People were exchanging muted conversations and the members of the press were taking notes and pictures of the scene. It was at times like this that I felt like shattering their vexatious cameras and wiping the stupid smiles they had on, off. But what can I do, they're only doing their job and I wouldn't like to get trapped in a law suit that'd undoubtedly end in their favour.

I glanced around me and recognized Beatrice in a serious discussion with mom and Mr. Adam. I looked up at the sky which was starting to brighten.

While I was surveying the sky, a few pressmen located me and began assailing me with nervy questions, shoving their numerous mics at my face. I controlled my soaring anger and answered every question they had until Beatrice rescued me.

My bones were too weak to move and even my eyes shut on their own as Beatrice pulled me away from the pressmen who weakly protested. I had lost every inch of control over my senses, my insides were torn apart, like a metal rod was shoved into my heart. This time around, I couldn't hide the pains I felt anymore. They had piled up to an uncontrollable height and the weight was so much that I felt my chest literally crushed.

Pretending to be strong, I had forgotten that I couldn't always be strong.

Beatrice gently pressed down my shoulders, pushing me into a seat positioned in the open space. I shakily sat properly and watched my mom address the little crowd that had gathered around her.