28: Wedding Day

'Wedding day'

Finally, the day arrived. The day my sister would be officially called Mrs Shade. As I helped her into her wedding gown, I couldn't control the tears that rushed down my cheeks. But I had to wipe them off as my sister suddenly developed cold feet.

"What if he doesn't want to get married to me anymore? What if he hates me?" She moved away from me and headed to the window.

I groaned as she ruined her hairdo in her desperation. She looked really worried over nothing, so I had to help ease her mind and assured her that everything would be just fine.

I did that by telling her how beautiful she looked in her flowing off-shoulder white wedding gown and the diamond-studded tiara planted in her hair. Her make-up was moderate but it still brought out the beautiful features of her face. And no, I didn't do her make-up, Alice did. She and her cousin stopped by early this morning to help us prepare. Later, they said they had to leave so they could go freshen up in time for the wedding.

Despite concluding that cold feet development was common among most brides, I couldn't ignore the disturbing pain in my chest each time I glanced at my sister. The pang in my chest became fierce that once, while I was helping her with her veil, I yelped in anguish. My sister with a concerned look on her face, asked me what was the matter, but I told her it was nothing.

Finally, as the clock struck the hour of nine, I took a deep breath and saw my sister off to the car waiting for her outside with mom inside.

Mom.

Well, mom recovered as her doctor had assured us. But she still insisted on attending her daughter's wedding. I had to oblige her because I understood the ache in her heart. The ache of loosing her daughter.

I watched how mom got out of the car and embraced Tamara. Her face was filled with so much sorrow as Tamara hugged her firmly. Mom buried her face in Tamara's neck and breathed some words only the two of them could hear.

With my hands crossed over my chest, I looked away from them and at the maple tree close to the side of the house. I could faintly make out the engravings on the brown trunk, they were scribbles of some funny things I and Tamara liked doing when we were teenagers.

"Florence, what are you doing standing there like that? Come on, I have a wedding to catch up with." And my sister's lively self returned.

As I walked towards the car, I lifted my lilac gown slightly so I wouldn't trip on it.

When the car lurched forward, I prayed earnestly that the pair of platform heels encasing my feet wouldn't embarrass me later. However, there were other things I should have prayed for.

💭💭💭

When the car came to a halt, Tamara, mom and I exchanged looks. Tamara looked very anxious while mom appeared like she was going to faint. So, I had to intervene with my soothing skills.

"Calm down girls, the wedding will proceed smoothly. Just take a deep breath, Tamara." I placed a hand on my sister's shoulder and the slight up and down movement of her shoulder moved my hand too.

"I'm not sure about this Florence, what if I actually trip or something?"

I rolled my eyes. My sister could get really dramatic most times.

"You have five minutes left to go in." The driver announced from the front seat.

"I'm quite aware of that." Tamara snapped at him. The poor elderly man simply bowed his head and said no more.

"Baby, you'll be fine, just don't worry too much." Mom who had a smilei laced her fingers with Tam's and hugged her again.

"Alright girls, enough with the emotions!" Alice's voice rang out from outside the car. I hadn't realized the door was pulled open.