12: The Man

My eyes opened on their own and I moved them around, trying to figure out where I was.

I was in a room with grey coloured walls and the floor was made of wood which had some traces of decay at different spots.

Feeling disgusted, I made to stand but realized that my legs and hands were tied. I wriggled violently, hoping the ropes holding my hands and legs captive would come undone, but they didn't.

I lifted my head and saw a little window above my head which let in a little light.
Before me were vertical iron bars which was similar to those found in a cell.

What had I done wrong?

Had the police kidnapped me? What for?

Footsteps approaching my cell made me sit upright after much struggling. A shadow fell on the floor of the cell and I squinted my eyes to get a better view of the person as the light from outside my cell was overpowering.

"Who's there? What do you want from me?" I demanded, carefully hiding my desperation and fear.

The man let out a low chuckle and wrapped his fingers around two bars.

"Obstinacy runs in the family doesn't it?"

That voice, where have I heard it?

When realization struck me, my eyes widened and I moved back to jam my back against the wall.

"Yes darling, I've missed you."

"You've destroyed my family." I spat and shook my head to get rid of the hair blocking my eyes.

He laughed like he didn't believe me. "Isn't it my family too? Are you forgetting so soon?"

How badly I wanted to choke him but fortunately for him and unfortunately for me, my hands and legs were held captive.

"We stopped being part of my family when you left us, you're heartless." The sides of my head ached as I gritted my teeth in annoyance.

"There there, we do not want your ' reaction ' to come on, or do we?" He freed the bars from his hand and stepped away from them.

"Where's my sister? Let me see her." I pleaded and he bent his head, probably contemplating if he should grant me my wish.

"I believe that can be arranged."

He raised his head and turned to leave.

"Why am I here?" I rapidly spoke. He stopped walking and swirled around.

"I guess we'll find out soon." He replied coldly and resumed walking away from my cell.

"Don't do anything to hurt my mother!" I yelled and all that replied was the echo of my voice.

Tears filled my eyes and I used the top of my arm to brush them away.

***
Philip's POV

It was my fault, if I had confessed my love to her earlier, things wouldn't have been as complicated as they are. Coupled with the fact that my brother chose the wrong time to show up, just when I wanted to take her out on a date to confess my never-relenting feelings for her. He had the guts to come back after all he did to us, snatching away my first love and hurting Florence and I in the process. Now, he was determined snatching the only woman I cared about beside my mother, I wouldn't allow that to happen, never.

Dammit.

I punched the wall with my knuckles and I hissed at the stinging sensation I received.

Ignoring the pain, I marched to my table and swept everything off it, including my laptop and the glass pyramids that adorned it.

My anger lessened and I examined the mess I had created. Several glasses were shattered, including my glass bookshelf, the files contained in it were lying on the floor. My eyes fell on the bloodstains my knuckles had left. They moved to the huge glass window which had a crack running from the top to the bottom. Despite the thickness of the glass, the accolade I had hurled at it managed to cause the crack.

The door was flung open and despite my back facing it, I knew who had intruded on my privacy.

Peter.

"What are you doing here?" I asked through my clenched teeth.

He ignored my question and walked to my side.

"What on earth happened here?"

I strode to the glass window and tucked my hands into my pockets. " I'd rather not talk about it, what are you doing here?"

"Florence was kidnapped."

My head turned to meet my brother's steady gaze and my lips parted in utter shock.

"According to witnesses, they saw her enter the elevator close to your office, but she never came out. The security cameras confirms it." He spoke with much concern and he bent his head in either shame or grief, I wasn't sure of which.

I marched to my table and picked up the telephone which was the only thing that escaped my fury. After dialing the janitor's number, I instructed him to come over to clean the mess my anger had made. After hanging up, I walked over to Peter and placed my hands on his shoulders.

"I had already sent the men out to search for her sister, but now that she's also kidnapped, I guess we'll have to change our plans a little."

"Her sister was kidnapped? I didn't know."

How would you know?

"There's just one thing I need you to do," I stared straight in his eyes. "Make sure Amanda is taken to safety, I'll make sure I find those bastards and deal with them."

He nodded and freed himself from my firm grip.

"I have to be on my way, I'll talk to you later." Peter tucked his hand in the pocket of his trouser and slowly exited my office.

After he shut the door, I walked back to my table and grabbed my car keys from the smooth surface. After rearranging my hair, I marched out of my office.

So, Florence finally meets the man behind everything.

A short chapter, I know but the next chapter will be longer.

Several thanks to everyone that has been encouraging me in diverse ways despite the hitches along the way.

Candice_Is_Crazy and hakunabooktata are among those people I'm truly grateful to.

Have a glorious day/night.

Tris❤❤❤❤