18: Make the First Move

'Make the First Move'

MY EYES OPENED slowly, adjusting to the light around me. I allowed my eyes roam to ensure I wasn't kidnapped or something.

My mom rushed to my side with worry clouding her normally cheerful face.

"Hey baby, how are you feeling?" she demanded, sitting on my bed.

"I'm much better mom, where's Tam?"

"She's in the kitchen cutting up some fruits for you to eat." She rubbed my hand affectionately and I nodded.

The look on her face showed me how worried she was about the state of my health. I was really prone to different illnesses because of my ' reaction '. The last time I fell ill was a year back when someone had yelled at me in a fashion store for accidentally stepping on her toes. I was glad that my mom was around to help me. She had always been there to assist me not until recently though when work took a toll on her.

My thoughts faded when Tam rushed into my room with a plate containing sliced fruits and a glass of water.

"Oh, thank God, you're awake, you had me worried sick." She placed the plate on the small table beside my bed and the cup also.

"I'm awake now." I muttered as she squeezed me in her arms. A pathetic excuse for a hug.

"Don't ever do that again." My sister smacked my arm and smoothened a rumpled area of my bed cover.

I noticed Mom leaving but Tam didn't as she had her back facing her.

"I feel like ripping that man apart, seriously." She made ripping motions with her hands for emphasis.

"There's no need for that, calm your nerves."

I grabbed her hand and placed them on the bed. She breathed in and out, shutting her eyes.

"Baby, you have a visitor!" My mom shouted from outside.

I wondered who that could possibly be. Maybe it's my boss coming to apologize. Yeah right, only when pigs fly.

"OK mom, I'll be down in a minute!" I attempted a get out of my bed but Tamara stopped me with a firm grip on my wrist.

"You stay right here, I'll check who it is."

Rolling my eyes at her sisterly protective mode, I swatted her hand away.

"I can manage," Then I stumbled past her and hurried to the front door which I opened cautiously and saw Peter standing on the porch with a brilliant smile on his face.

"Hey," He spoke up and walked towards me.

I edged away from the entrance allowing him access into the house. "Hey,"

"Sit please," I showed him to a sofa, and he sat,  eyes boring into my skin.

"I came to check on you, I was so worried."

"I'm fine now,"  A glance down at my at my injury told me it was healing.

"Let me see your hand." He requested and I gave him my hand which he took tenderly, after gazing at the cut for a while and then he raised his eyes to meet mine.

"I'm so sorry." He apologized and I wondered what he was apologizing for, it's not like he caused the injury. I merely nodded, he was about saying something when Tamara walked in on us, her eyes fixed on Peter.

"Thank you again for what you did," Peter smiled and nodded. My hand was still in his hand and when Tamara raised a brow in perplexity, I retracted them.