15: How Did She Die?

^^^ The Ross' Vacation home at the top.

I'd really appreciate your comments on every chapter.

"How Did She Die?"
*
*
*

"Who's up for McDonald's?" Mom asked suddenly, dragging our attention to her.

We were lazing around, today being a Saturday. It was a couple minutes past noon.

Gemma and the boys were playing card games and at the same time trying to concentrate on the television that Shawn and dad were staring at.

I paused in braiding mom's hair. "Junk? Really mom. What happened to eating healthy?-"

"We don't mind eating at McDonald's, Florence." Gemma butted in.

Grumbling under my breath, I secretly glanced at Shawn whose eyebrows were raised at me.

"Boys?"

All of them except Shawn accepted the offer. Dad too. I finished mom's braids and soon she was upstairs, changing into more befitting clothes.

Dad said he was comfortable with the black 1980 basketball T-Shirt and a pair of sweatpants.

Gemma was already in a light-green dress and her hair was in two cornrows. She braids her hair alone.except for few occasions when she asks for my help.

The boys were dressed as boys. Shorts and T-Shirts.

Dad seized his keys from the rug when mom descended the stairs and soon they all shuffled out of the house.

"Why didn't you go with them?" I asked my best friend.

He shrugged. "Why didn't you?"

I kept mum. Honestly, I didn't know why?

Shawn sighed. "You know, Haz. At some point, you need to talk to them."

I rolled my eyes, fiddling with the wide-toothed comb in my clutch."We haven't gotten to that point yet."

Shawn studied my face for an instant. "Hazel-"

"Give it up, Shawn."

He stood up and held out his hand. "Come on."

"Where."

"Are you  coming or not?"

"Fine." Wondering what all this was about, I accepted his hand  and he led me upstairs to the balcony, the one in close proximity to my bedroom window.

The air and the view here was simply breathtaking. Since the balcony was located on the highest floor of the building, a lot could be seen from here. The pool, chairs and trees stretching into the distance. The house was sited on a hill, so you could see the slope downwards.

The air flowed freely. I inhaled a rich gust of pure oxygen.

"Breathtaking right?"

I faced Shawn with a smile. "As always. It's been a long while since I came up here."

"I remember how you used to escape to sit here whenever your dad had some guests over."

Most of our vacations were majorly for family alone, but some times, dad invited some of his business associates over and during their long talks which were frequent in the evenings, I would run up here to catch some air and reminisce about random things.

"Yeah." I watched some birds glide above us.

"Victoria died."

I gaped at Shawn. "What!"