40: Obviously, You're Occupied

Hey guys, in case you are a fan of Cinderella stories that don't go in the way they should, then, I wouldn't mind if you check out 'Twisted' on my profile.

'Obviously, You're Occupied'

I PERMITTED MY PEN to run along the paper held in my hand while my aching back was placed against the back rest of the chair hoisting me above the grey rug beneath.

I looked around my mother's office which held a lot of things. The collection of books that were stacked in the shelves at a corner, the large television that was plastered on the wall beside me, the plush grey rug beneath my feet, the list was endless.

Pulling out my feet from my shoes, I allowed them get busy with the plush rug beneath me.

A knock on the door dragged my attention to the door made out of sturdy wood. I had no idea why my mom chose mahogany for her door instead of the normal metallic doors

"Come in!" I sang.

Immediately I ended my speech, Beatrice, my Personal Assistant opened the door and walked towards my table. I observed her graceful movement even though she had on a pair of the heels I detested. I internally wished I could have the poise she had wearing stilettos.

"Good morning Florence."

I  acknowledged her greeting with a curt nod. She transferred some documents from a folder held in her hand to my table.

"What are these?"  I gestured at the documents and glanced upwards at her sea blue eyes, carefully hidden behind glasses perched on the bridge of her nose. Her hair was packed up in a single bun and a hair clip was used in securing the gold coloured strands.

"Those are from Mr. Adam, he says they need urgent attention."

I abandoned the paper and pen I was holding earlier and placed my hand on the documents. My eyes wandered casually among the sentences and planted themselves on a phrase: URGENT.

I sighed and shifted my eyes back to Beatrice.

"Thank you."

She gave me a smile full of cheer and I gave her a smile in response. This was one of the reasons why I chose her as my Personal Assistant, she always wore a smile on her face. The other reason being that,she was obstinate, just like Tamara, but never failed to carry out the numerous tasks I set her on. She was the complete opposite of Alice, her predecessor who was never acted on instructions, I wondered how mom coped with her.

"There's someone asking to see you."

"Who?"

"Mr. Ross"

Reflexively, I adjusted on my seat. Ashamed of my reaction, I tried to regain my composure, but my action didn't escape Beatrice's eyes. She smirked at me and I rolled my eyes in response.