2: Ultimatum

I dialled Mr. Adam's contact number on my phone and after a couple of rings, he answered the call.

"Good morning Mr. Adam." I assumed a professional voice.

"Yes Florence, how are you doing?"

"I'm doing OK, thanks."

"Your mom told me you were a little unwell."

"Actually, I'm fine now, I called to apologize for the inconveniences caused by my absence, I'll be resuming tomorrow."

"That's good news."

"About the meeting tomorrow..." I began.

"Yes, it'll still holding and... "

I discussed at length with Adam who revealed that everything was going smoothly at 'Florence'.

I strolled to mom's room to check on her. After knocking twice on the door and getting no response, I pushed the door open and entered her magnificent room. The white curtains covering the glass windows fluttered due to the breeze forcing itself into the room

The floor of her room was covered with a white rug which was regularly cleaned out, her bed possessed a large peach furry blanket on it and carried two furry pillows too. Her room was simply a 'furry paradise'. I guess I and Tam got our love for furry objects from her, though I wasn't as obsessed with them as Tam.

I scanned the room for mom's slender figure in vain. Hearing grunts of frustration from her closet, I approached it cautiously and just as I got to the entrance, mom appeared with a few clothes in her arms, a strap heel was dangling from one of her fingers. She smiled coyly like a six year old caught stealing chocolate bars, trying to hide her clothes behind her back but I wagged a finger at her.

"Oh no you don't, mom." I scolded and her hands released the clothes to the floor.

"What are you up to mom?" The tone of my voice made it seem like I was the 'mother' while mom was me.

"Uh... I... I... I" She stammered and I forced out a snicker which made a scowl appear on her face.

It was so funny seeing my mom flustered.

"Stop mocking me Florence!" She reprimanded and bent to snatch her clothes from the rug.

"Fine, but spill." I snapped my fingers and helped her with the clothes.

"I'm just going somewhere, someone invited me over for dinner, I think I need to calm my nerves."

I smirked. "Who's the person? A man?"

Instead of replying, she lowered her head and a smirk found its way to my lips.

Mom lifted her head and nodded. Steering her eyes clear of mine, she dumped the clothes on her bed, alongside the ones in my hands.

My eyes dilated in surprise and my jaws became slack. Seeing my astonishment, she immediately picked up a beige short-sleeved gown, and inspected it closely.

"But I'm still worried about Tam, where's she? Is she still alive? What do they want from us..."

Way to modify the topic mom.

I set an inner reminder to assail her with questions later.

"Mom, relax, I know it's difficult for you, it's not easy on Michael, neither on me, do not fret yourself too much, fretting won't bring Tam back."

I marched to her closet and stood gazing at the countless clothes hanging from the thin silver rod running across from one wall to the other.

Her shoes consisting mostly of heels were at another corner, properly arranged on their racks. I would have envied her vast heels collection if I wasn't an enemy to them. Especially the stilettos.