26: A little pleasure never hurts

I've been accused of not responding to comments and other stuff.

Well, at some point, it got hard for me to keep track of all my comments especially in the former books, but I'll try as much as  I can to get to 80% of the comments.

It's not a promise, but okay?

◇◇◇

WHILE LOOKING FOR decent clothes to wear, I discovered Blake's gift sitting at the bottom of my box.

Smiling, I unwrapped it, before going out to meet with Diana.

“Where to?” I ask, sitting next to her in the car.

“I'll show to our school first and then, we'll go to the amusement park. I got us tickets. After that we'll get some Australian dishes but we won't sit out or else, Tony will have my neck...” Diana rambles and I just let her.

My brother showed me how to use the camera, so after checking for the memory card, I turn it on and start taking pictures.

“You can't take pictures in the amusement park though.” Diana informs me, although I'm sure I pretty much can get away with anything through my dad's influence.

“Got it.” A thought crosses my mind. “I've always wondered. Why are Xavier and Tony living alone. Where are their parents? I mean I've met their mother back in America but doesn't she-”

“They were adopted. Their adoptive father doesn't approve of them so he got them that house so they could live away from him.” Diana explains.

“That sucks. What have they ever done? They've been nothing but good to me since I came here.”

Diana throws me a look that says I should stop talking. “It's a shady business if you ask me but don't go poking around, Hazel.”

Sufficiently warned, I decide to mind my business.

Minutes later, we're at the school. Still inside the car, I glimpse at the serene environment and white, tall buildings.

There's a giant white sign at the front over the metal gate that says “Charleville State High School”

Since it's a couple minutes past four, there are still students milling around, all trying to go home.

“It looks nice.” I say, facing Diana. She nods, but keeps her eyes on her phone.

Not long after, some boy comes straight to the car and taps on my side of the window.

Diana unlocks the car and he jumps into the backseat, groaning.

“Today was the worst day of my life.”He says, catching my eyes through the window. Curiosity lurks in his gaze.

“Who's she?” He queries.

Diana starts the engine. “This is Hazel. She's going to be staying with us for a while. And Hazel, meet Alistair Anderson, my unfortunate best friend?"

I lean over just in time to see Alistair crack a sardonic smile. "You don't look like a Hazel, you look like a Charlotte or Caroline to me."

I match his stare with my steely one. "And you look like a douchebag to me."

Alistair bursts out laughing before nodding in approval. "I like this one, Dee Dee. Feisty little thing."

Sighing, I settle back in my seat, facing the road. "I'm not a thing." I mumble.

"Don't let Alistair get to you. He's a big pain in the head. Like that stupid hangover that won't go away." Diana taunts, smiling back at Alistair who scoffs.