14: Change of Mind

I WOKE UP FEELING rejuvenated. Yawning, I stretched out my legs which were folded up to my chest underneath a blanket. That's my usual sleeping position, no matter how big my bed is, I'll always find myself huddled in a corner by morning. Mom usually teased me about my bad sleeping position but I didn't mind.

Removing the large blanket from the upper part of my body, I sat up in my bed.

Wait, I don't remember climbing into my bed. How did I get here?.

I looked around me in total confusion, my legs were still hidden under the comforter. I looked out the glass window and observed the sun slowly making its way up the sky. A knock on the door interfered my usual routine of staring at the sun in its majestic ascent.

"Come on in." I sang.

Mia made her way inside the room with a smile on her face.

"Good morning Mia." I wiped my eyes as she walked to my bedside.

"Did you sleep well?" I nodded and she sat on the bed facing me. I observed the barely visible gray hairs on her head and her perfectly shaped nose.

"How did I get here?" I patted the empty space beside me.

"Philip brought you in, he found you sleeping on a sofa outside."

My cheek became hot as different thoughts swam in my head. Did Mr. Philip really carry me here? How come I didn't notice? How did he carry me? Bridal style?

Mia touched my hands and they twitched slightly. I looked up to see her concerned face.

"Are you OK?"

"Yes I am."

"He said he'll be attending a meeting by 11a.m, you're expected to be ready then." She pulled the comforter off me and gently pulled me out of the bed.

I checked the wall clock hanging at a corner. 6:a.m

"You have enough time to prepare, you don't want to keep him waiting." She said in a sing-song voice and pushed me towards the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth and scrubbed my skin clean under the shower from which warm water coursed down to my body.

After pulling on a black corporate gown which had a tiny gold chain at the waist, I put up my hair in a pony tail and sprayed on a perfume I had found concealed in a drawer.

Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I noticed that the dark circles beneath my eyes had disappeared. I caressed my cheek and looked down at my feet, which had on a pair of stiletto heels. For the past days I've been here, I was relieved not having to wear them, but now, I'm back to wearing them.

I sighed and picked up my phone from the dresser, I made my way downstairs, groaning as 'click' 'clock' noises emitted from the pair stilettos on my feet echoed around me. This is why I hate heels, they're so noisy.

Mr. Philip was speaking to someone through his phone, he stood close to the limo and Fabian stood next to him. He had his back facing me and when he heard me coming, he turned around with his eyes meeting mine. His eyes travelled around my figure. He gulped and hung up on whoever he was speaking to. He was dressed in a perfectly tailored black suit, black shoes and a black tie. His hair was in its normal state; in a pleasant disorder.

"Um... let's go." He stepped aside for me to enter the limo through the door Fabian hurriedly opened. I wondered what was wrong with him. Normally, he would have brushed me aside, not sparing me a second glance. But here he was checking me out and stepping aside for me to get into the limo.