Chapter 26

Previously on Chapter 25

I open my eyes and look up at the sky. I still have spiritual energy in me. There's still hope that I can bend again. But to do that... I have to remember who I was before I became a half-human. But how... how can I remember who I was? That's what I have to find out.

-She Can't Be Trusted-

Y/N P.O.V

"Time to go shopping!" A voice yelled out, startling me from my sleep. I jump a little at the voice and relaxes when I realize it's just Katara. "Goodness, Katara... you scared the hell outta me" I said. She lets out a giggle and grabs my arms. I stumble to my feet as she pulls me, which resulting in me falling on my butt.

"Ooops... sorry" Katara said, as she watched me rubs my back. She offers a hand to me. "What's got you so excited?" I said. She shrugs her shoulders as I grab her hand, letting her pull me up to my feet.

"I don't know. Just in a good mood this morning..." she said. I rub my butt softly. "Uh Huh, yeah... I can see that" I said. She loops her arm through mine and starts to pull me along. At least this time she makes sure I don't fall over.

We are now in a small shop. Hama have just finished her first purchase. "That Mr. Yao seems to have a thing for you. Maybe we should go back and see if he'll give us some free komodo sausages?" Katara said. Hama turns to look at her.

"You would have me use my feminine charms to take advantage of that poor man? I think you and I are going to get along swimmingly!" She said, happily. Katara just grins at her.

A While Later

"People disappearing in the woods, weird stuff happening during full moons? This just reeks of Spirit World shenanigans" Sokka said. "I bet if we take a little walk around town, we'll find out what these people did to the environment to make the spirits mad" Aang said.

"And then you can sew up this little mystery lickety-split, Avatar style!" Sokka said. I bit my lips at what he said. My parents said that I'm no longer the Avatar. After giving Aang my spiritual energy. All I have now is my spiritual power as a Spryth. But in order to awaken that... I have to remember who I was before I was reborn as a half-human.

"Helping people... that's what we do. Right, sis?" Aang said, snapping me out of my thought. I turn to look at him. "If it's actually a spirit... I'm sorry but I can't help you anymore, Aang" I said. He just nods his head. "It's alright, sis... I'm sorry I brought it up..." he said. I shake my head, as a sign that's it's alright.

We finally caught up with Katara and Hama. Hama turns around and smiles at the sight of us. "Why don't you take all those things back to the inn? I just have to run a couple more errands. I'll be back in a little while" she said.

"This is a mysterious little town you have here" Sokka said. "Mysterious town for mysterious children" she said. For some reason, the way she said it brought chill down my spine. We just nod our heads and turn our direction to the inn.

***

We are walking inside the inn, placing all of the basket on the table. Sokka places the basket on the table as well. "That Hama seems a little strange. Like she knows something, or she's hiding something" he said.

"That's ridiculous. She's a nice woman who took us in and gave us a place to stay. She kinda reminds me of Gran-Gran" Katara said, as she begins to unload. I turn to look at her.

"I don't know, Katara... I'm with Sokka on this one" I said. Katara rolls her eyes. "When have you not side with him? If Sokka isn't with Suki... and you- well... you know who I'm talking about! I'd say you both will ended up being a couple" she said, smirking slyly. My eyes widened at what she just said.

Sokka and I turn to look at each other and scoots away, feeling awkward at what Katara just said. Sheesh, Katara... what a way to make things awkward.

Sokka clears his throat, trying to erase the awkward. "Okay... but what did she mean by that comment, "mysterious children"?" He said. "Gee, I don't know. Maybe because she found four strange kids camping in the woods at night? Isn't that a little mysterious?" Katara said.

"I'm gonna take a look around. You comin', Y/N?" He said. "I don't know, Sokka... as much as I find her suspicious. I don't think it's wise to go through her personal belongings" I said. Katara hums at what I said.

"At least Y/N still have respect..." she said. Sokka just ignore her comment and starts walking off. "Sokka! Sokka, what are you doing? You can't just snoop around someone's house" she said, chasing after him. I let out a sigh and follows them, I mean... what choice to I have?

"It'll be fine" he assures. Aang steps up next to me. "She could be home any minute" he said. "Sokka, you're gonna get us all in trouble and this is just plain rude!" Katara said.

"I'm not finished yet. Come on!" He said, as he tries to pry open a wooden cupboard. The door flies open, and several puppets shot out. Sokka screams as he pulls out his sword. I jump back behind Aang.

"Okay, that's pretty creepy" Aang said. "T-Tell me a-about it" I said, peeking from his shoulder. He turns to me and chuckles. He wraps his arm around my shoulder as an attempt to comfort me.

"So she's got a hobby. There's nothing weird about that. Sokka, you've looked enough. Hama will be back soon" Katara said angrily as Sokka starts to wander around again. He walks up the stairs that leads to the attic.

Sokka tries to open a door, but it didn't budge. "Just an ordinary puppet-loving innkeeper, huh? Well then why does she have a locked door up here?" he said, turning to face us.

"Probably to keep people like you from snooping through her stuff!" Katara said, in annoyance. "We'll see..." he said. He leans down and peeps through the key hole.

"It's empty, except for a little chest" he said. I raise an eyebrow at what he said. "Maybe it's treasure!" Toph said. Sokka pulls out his sword and start to pick on the lock.

I shake my head at what he's doing. "Okay. Okay... Sokka this is too much!" I said, taking a step closer to him. Katara nods her head. "Yeah, Sokka. What are you doing? You're breaking into a private room!" She said.

"I have to see what's in there" Sokka said, completely ignoring us. "You're just excited because Toph said it might be treasure" I said. He stops for a few seconds, but then continue picking on the lock.

The door eventually opens. Sokka puts away his sword and walk towards the chest. "We shouldn't be doing this" Aang said. Sokka picks up the chest and try to open it, but it didn't budge.

"Maybe there's a key somewhere..." he said. Toph walks over to him. "Ooh... hand it over" she said. She take off her meteor bracelet and morph it into a key. She starts to pick on the chest.

"Come on, come on!" Sokka said. "This isn't as easy as it looks!" Toph said, annoyed by him. "Guys... I don't know about this" Aang said. "Yeah... it's just wrong" I said. "This is crazy! I'm leaving" Katara said. She turns around and start to walks away.

"Suit yourself. Do it, Toph!" Sokka said. Toph gives a signal that she manage to open the chest. Katara who was walking away, instantly comes over to take a peak. Everyone doing the same, except for me. I stand by the door, still thinks this is wrong.

"I'll tell you what's in the box" someone said, next to me. I jump at the voice and turn my head to see Hama. I give Sokka a look as he guiltily hands the chest over to Hama.

She opens the chest and reaches in. She lift her hand to reveal a blue comb. I raise an eyebrow at the sight. "An old comb?" Sokka said, skeptically. Hama smiles as she looks at the five of us. "It's not just any comb, right?" I said. She nods her head. "It's my greatest treasure. It's the last thing I own from growing up in the Southern Water Tribe" she said. My eyes widen at what she said. I turn to look at Sokka and Katara who's just as astonished as I am... well probably even more. This is totally NOT what I had expected. But my heart still tells me that Hama can't be trusted.

*to be continued*