Chapter 37

Previously on Chapter 36

The next time we come to the surface. It'll be on the beach of the Fire Nation. We have to be ready for the battle. I stare out the window of the submarine as we are underwater. The ocean is blue and crystal clear. I love the sight... it's beautiful. Despite being in the enemy's territory. Aang... please be okay.

-They Knew-

Y/N P.O.V

We eventually rises on the beach of the Fire Nation. We get inside a tank and start advancing at the Fire Nation soldiers. The tanks are made of metal, so they can withstand the fire that are shot by them. 

"Ready the torpedo! Launch!" Hakoda instructed. I rush forward and try to avoid as much fire as I can. But even so, some of the them manage to land a hit on me. I bit my lips in pain from the burning. But I refuse to quit.

I'm wearing a mask, so they won't know who I am. If they know me... they'll instantly knows that Aang is here because he's my twin. We're both suppose to be the Avatars. But as of now, it's only Aang. He's our only hope at defeating the Fire Lord in this invasion.

"Dad, look out!" Sokka yelled. I strike one of the Fire soldiers. I turn my head and notice Hakoda on the ground. I quickly rush towards them, along with Katara and Sokka. Katara quickly performs her healing technique on Hakoda's burn wound.

"How does that feel, dad?" Katara said. "Ah, a little, better. I need, to get back to the troops" he said. He tries to stand up, but seems like he got hurt on his ankle too.

"You're hurt, badly. You can't fight anymore" Katara said. Hakoda shakes his head. "Everyone's counting on me to lead this mission Katara, I won't let them down" he said. He tries to stand up again but failed, because he's too weak.

"Can't you heal him any faster??" Sokka said. "Don't rush her, Sokka!" I said. "Yeah. I'm doing everything I can" she said. Sokka looks around the battle field.

"I'll do it" he said. I turn to look at him in confusion. "You wanna heal your dad?" I said. "No offense Sokka, but you're not exactly Mr. Healing Hands" Katara said. He stands up confidently. "No, I'll lead the invasion force" he said. I stare at him in shock.

"Don't be crazy, Sokka!" I said. He turns to look at me and gives me a small smile. "Maybe I am a little crazy, but the eclipse is about to start and we need to be up that volcano by the time it does" he said.

"You can do this. I'm proud of you son" Hakoda said. Katara smiles at him. "I still think you're crazy, but I'm proud of you too" she said. "Me too" I said, with a smile on my face. Sokka smiles at the two of us. We get on Appa. He urges Appa to fly. We head towards the invasion force.

"Listen up, everyone. I want the tanks in wedge formation. Warriors and benders in the middle. We're taking that tower, and heading for the royal palace" he said. The tanks starts moving according to his instruction. He turns to look at me. I give him a nod.

"CHARGE!!" He yelled. The tanks are making their way up the volcano. The fire-benders starts shooting their fire at us. But the tank keeps moving, without damage. Eventually, the soldiers starts pulling back.

"The Fire Nation is falling back!" Tyro said. I grin at Sokka. "Sokka, we're on our way to victory!" Hakoda said, pride is evident in his voice. We are winning... I can't believe it!

***

We continue to charge, and the fire-bender attacks didn't affect at all. Several fire balls are launched into the air, and landed near Sokka. Which makes him flinch.

He turns his head and grins. "Dad! You're on your feet again!" He said. I turn my head to see Hakoda. He's standing with Katara supporting him. Katara helps him sit down on top of a rock.

"Thanks to your sister. I'm in no shape to fight, but maybe there's some way I can help" he said. Sokka just smiles at him. "Everything's going smoothly and the eclipse hasn't even kicked in yet" Sokka said.

"Let's hope our luck holds out" Hakoda said. I turn my head and notice Katara staring at something. "Katara? You seem distracted... is there something wrong?" I asked. She stares quizzically at something.

"Yeah. Is that... is that Aang?" She said. I turn my head and notice Aang flying towards us. Sokka looks shocked as well. Aang dodged a few fireballs as he lands in front of us.

"What? Please tell me you're here because the Fire Lord turned out to be a big wimp and you didn't even need the eclipse to take him down" Sokka said. I can see a troubled look on his face.

"He wasn't home. No one was. The entire palace city is abandoned" he said. My eyes widened at what he said. "They knew..." Sokka said. This whole fighting thing was just a ploy. They're acting along. All these time they actually knew that we were coming.

Aang looks dismayed at what he said. "It's over. The Fire Lord is probably long-gone; far away on some remote island where he'll be safe during the eclipse" he said. I clench my hands into a tight fists. I can't believe we've come this far for nothing!!

"No. My instincts tell me he wouldn't go too far. He would have a secret bunker; somewhere he could go and be safe during the siege but still be close enough to lead his nation" Sokka said. I turn to look at him and grin.

"Yeah... of course. There has to be a secret hideout. We just have to find a way to find that place" I said. Toph steps forward at what I said. She seem very confident. "If it's an underground secret bunker we're looking for, I'm just the girl to find it" she said.

"The mechanist gave me this timing device. It looks like we've got about ten minutes until the full eclipse. Ten minutes to find the Fire Lord" Sokka said, as he pulls out a small device. Aang nods his head. "We can still do this. We can still win the day" he said. I nod my head and clench the hilts of my dual swords.

"Wait! If they knew we were coming it could all be a trap. Maybe we should use the time we have left to make sure we all get out of here safely" Katara said, she sounded worried. I turn to look at her.

"Everyone who's here today came prepared to risk everything for this mission. They know what's at stake. If there's still a chance and there's still hope, I think they would want Aang to go for it" Hakoda said.

Sokka turns to look at Aang. "What do you think?"he said. "Yeah, Aang. You're the one that has to face the Fire Lord. Whatever you decide, we're with you" I said. He looks at us back and forth. "I've gotta try" he said. There's still hope. Maybe we can still win this fight.

*to be continued*