Chapter 27

Previously on Chapter 26

"It's my greatest treasure. It's the last thing I own from growing up in the Southern Water Tribe" she said. My eyes widen at what she said. I turn to look at Sokka and Katara who's just as astonished as I am... well probably even more. This is totally NOT what I had expected. But my heart still tells me that Hama can't be trusted.

-Something Is Wrong With Her-

Y/N P.O.V

We stare at Hama in shock after her revelation that she's from the Southern Water Tribe. Just like Sokka and Katara. Those two are the most shocked at the sudden discovery.

"You're from the Southern Water Tribe?" Katara said, looking stunned. "Just like you" Hama said, with a smile on her face. "How did you know?" I said, shocked that she knows. But she probably heard us when we were camping.

"I heard you talking around your campfire" she said, confirming my thoughts. "Why didn't you tell us?" Sokka said. "I wanted to surprise you! I bought all this food today so I could fix you a big Water Tribe dinner. Of course, I can't get all the ingredients I need here, but ocean kumquats are a lot like sea prunes if you stew them long enough" she said. I hear gagging sound and turn my head to see Aang making faces at the mention of the food.

"Great..." he said. I nudge his rib, causing him to flinch. "That's not nice, Aang..." I said. He just rub his neck, smiling sheepishly. I turn to look at Katara and notices her smiling.

"I knew I felt a bond with you right away" she said, smiling at Hama. "And I knew you were keeping a secret, so I guess we're both right" Sokka said. He flinched when Katara hits his arm. He clears his throat and turn to Hama again.

"But I'm sorry we were sneaking around" he said. Hama smiles at him. "Apology accepted. Now, let's get cooking!" She said, cheerfully. She turns around and walks out of the attic. The rest of us follows her in suit.

***

We are now gathering in the dining room. Hama is currently cooking the food for us. I sit next to Aang. I turn my head and notice him whispering to Toph.

"I'd steer clear of the sea prunes" he said. I let out a giggle as I recall the last time we ate sea prunes. I can almost imagine the disgust look on his face when he ate it.

"I thought they were ocean kumquats" Toph said. I can hear confusion lacing in her voice. "Close..." I said. Hama looks up from the pot and looks at us.

"Who wants five flavor soup?" She said. All five of us raises our hands. She lift her hand and the soup move to the bowl in front of us. My eyes widened at the sight.

"You're a waterbender!" I said, in surprise. She turns to me and smiles softly. "I've never met another waterbender from our tribe!" Katara said, happily. "That's because the Fire Nation wiped them all out. I was the last one..." Hama said. I can see sadness in her eyes.

"So how did you end up here?" Sokka said. I can see grim spreading across her face. "I was stolen from my home" she said. She starts telling us about her past. How the Fire Nation attack their home and how she ended up being a prisoner.

"They put us in terrible prisons here in the Fire Nation. I was the only one who managed to escape" she said, ending the story. I clench my hands into a tight fist. I knew the Fire Nation were bad. But this, this is just pure evil. How could they took someone away from the land they were born?? That's just so cruel.

"How did you get away? And why did you stay in the Fire Nation?" Sokka said. Hama shakes her head. "I'm sorry. It's too painful to talk about anymore" she said. "We completely understand. We lost our mother in a raid" Katara said.

"And I watch the Fire Nation killed everyone back in the Southern Air Temple. If it weren't for Monk Gyatso who protected me... I wouldn't be here now" I said. Aang wraps his arm around my shoulder. "Oh, you poor things..." Hama said, looking at us with a sympathetic gaze.

"I can't tell you what it means to meet you. It's an honor. You're a hero" Katara said. Hama turns to her and smiles. "I never thought I'd meet another Southern waterbender. I'd like to teach you what I know so you can carry on the Southern tradition when I'm gone" she said. Katara looks beyond ecstatic.

"Yes! Yes, of course! To learn about my heritage, it would mean everything to me" she said, happily. In which, Hama gives her a soft smile. I can see a flash in her eyes. But I don't know what, because it was gone as soon as it appears. No matter what that was, it brought chill down my spine.

Even though Hama was from the Southern Water Temple just like my two friends. I still don't trust her. But Katara looks so happy to be able to learn something from Hama. So I just stay silent. I don't wanna spoil her happiness.

Time-skip

Katara went off with Hama. While the rest of us go around town, trying to figure out what's going on about this place... and why people kept talking about people's disappearance under the full moon.

"This has got to be the nicest natural setting in the Fire Nation. I don't see anything that would make a spirit mad around here" Aang said. I nod my head in agreement.

"Yeah... all the trees looks so lively. The sky also feels fresh" I said. He turns to me and grin in agreement. I smile at him.

"Maybe the Moon Spirit just turned mean" Toph said out of nowhere. Sokka turns to her with an angry expression. "The Moon Spirit is a gentle, loving lady. She rules the sky with compassion and... lunar goodness!" He said. I just hum at his words. I can't blame him... after all, the Moon Spirit was Yue... his girlfriend.

Aang suddenly turns to a man who's walking by. He walks up to him. I just follow along with the others. "Excuse me, sir. Can you tell us anything about the spirit that's been stealing people?" He said. I stand next to Aang, waiting for the man to tell us.

"Only one man ever saw it and lived and that's Old Man Ding" he said. Toph walks forward. "Where does Old Man Ding live?" She said. The man told us the address and that's where we head to next. Let's hope this doesn't have anything to do with what I've been dreading off.

*to be continued*