Chapter 54

Previously on Chapter 53

I lift my hand, placing it on my chest where my plushie is. I can feel the slight bump and smiles sadly. Aang notices this and gently pat my back. I give him a smile. Without my bison... I felt so lost. If there's a way to bring her back... I would gladly do it. If only there is a way.

-The Origins of Fire-bending-

Y/N P.O.V

Zuko let out a sigh after Aang and Toph shared the origins of the earth-bending and air-bending. "Well, this doesn't help me. The original fire-benders were dragon, and they're extinct" he said.

"What do you mean‌? Roku had a dragon, and there were plenty of dragons when I was a kid" Aang said. "Aang... we live for 100 years, remember? We just looked 12" I said. "Y/N's right! They aren't around anymore, okay??" Zuko said. "Okay, okay... I'm sorry" Aang said.

Zuko thinks about it. "But maybe there's another way. The first people to learn from the dragons were the ancient Sun Warriors..." he said. Aang walks up to Zuko.

"Sun Warriors? Well, I know they weren't around when I was a kid" Aang said. I turn to look at Aang with a straight face. He turns to look at me with 'what?' Look on his face.

"No, they died off thousands of years ago. But their civilization wasn't too far from where we are now. Maybe we can learn something by poking around their ruins" Zuko said.

"It's like the monks used to tell us. Sometimes, the shadows of the past can be felt by the present. Right, sis?" Aang said, turning to look at me. I smile and nod my head, remembering what they taught us back then. I miss everyone.

"So, what? Maybe you'll pick up some super old Sun Warrior energy just by standing where they stood a thousand years ago?" Sokka said. I turn to look at him.

"More or less. Either I find a new way to firebend, or they would have to find a new teacher" Zuko said. I turn to look at Aang as he looks worried. I place my hand on his shoulder.

***

We are now flying in the sky. "We've been riding for hours. I don't know why, but I thought this thing would be a lot faster" Zuko said. Appa let out a growls.

"Appa's right, Zuko. In our group, typically we start our missions with a more up-beat attitude" Aang said. "Yeah... lighten up a little would you? Don't be so grumpy..." I said. "I can't believe this..." he said, in whispering tone. Then he lay down. I let out a soft giggle. "Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it..." Aang said.

After a while of flying we finally reached the location. I jump down from Appa's saddle, and stands with Aang. I stare at the ruins in front of us in awe.

"Woah..." we said. "Even though these buildings are ancient, there's something eerily familiar about them. I can tell the Fire Sages' temples are somehow descended from these" Zuko said. I just hum softly at what he said, to let him know that I'm paying attention.

"Okay. We've learned something about architecture. Hopefully, we'll learn something about firebending too. The past can be a great teacher" Aang said. I notice something shiny on the ground. It looks like wire.

"Aang, wait!" I said. But he already triggers it. The tripwire opens a platform on the ground, revealing sharp spikes. He blows a blast of air and make it across safely. I let out a sigh of relief. I jump forward and lands right next to him. I turn around and wait for Zuko to do the same.

"Zuko, I think the past is trying to kill us..." Aang said, sounded a little scared. "That doesn't make any sense. How can a tripwire still works after so many centuries have passed?" I asked. "There's probably a lot more. Maybe this means we shouldn't be here..." he said. I gently bonk his head.

"Since when did my brother became a scaredy cat? Where did that adventurous spirit you always have go?" I said. He gives me a straight face, which makes me chuckle softly.

"Y/N's right. Where's that up-beat attitude you were talkin' about? Besides, people don't make traps unless they've got something worth protecting" Zuko said, after he manage to jump across. We start to walk again.

We eventually comes across stairs. It's surrounded by carving of a person being surrounded by dragons breathing fire at him

"Look, this seems promising..." Aang said. I stare at the stairs and turn to look at Aang "Though I'm not sure what this tells us about the original source of fire-bending" I said. He shrugs his shoulders. "Only one way to find out. Come on..." he said. Zuko stares at the carving.

"They look pretty angry to me" he said. "I thought the dragons were friends with the Sun Warriors" Aang said. "Well, they had a funny way of showing it" Zuko said. I let out a sigh. "Yeah... no kidding" I said.

I turn to look at Zuko as I think of something. This carving must be created that way because of a reason. "Zuko, something happened to the dragons in the last hundred years. Something you're not telling me" I said. Zuko closes his eyes at what I said. He opens his eyes and turns to look at me.

"My great-grandfather Sozin happened" he said. I raise an eyebrow as I wait for him to start telling Aang and I what truly happened to the dragons. He walks passed us.

"He started the tradition of hunting dragons for glory. There were the ultimate firebenders. And if you could conquer one, your firebending talents would become legendary and you'd earn the honorary title, Dragon. The last great dragon was conquered long before I was born, by my uncle" he said. My eyes widened when I learned that it was Iroh who killed the last dragon.

"But I thought your uncle was... I don't know, good?" Aang said, having the same thought as me. Zuko let out a sigh. "He's a good person. I know it..." I said. "Well, he had a complicated past. Family tradition, I guess. Let's just move on..." he said. He walks ahead of us. Aang and I shared a look. But neither of us said anything.

When Zuko meant "family tradition" I get the feeling that he meant this whole redemption thing. How the bad people from the Fire Nation turn good, just like Iroh and Zuko. Hopefully, we can make the rest of the Fire Nation turn good after we end this war. It'll be hard... but I'm sure we can manage, as long as we work together.

*to be continued*