Chapter 21

It still feels like it was yesterday when you first began your training. Just thinking about it brought memorable experiences and unpleasant ones. Although you had been more than thrilled to train, you could not deny that there had been moments where you regretted taking this new path. The Kazekage and Benjiro mentioned that it would be rough, but you never imagined that it would be physically and mentally painful.

Just thinking about the endless days that you trained without rest, all of those wounds that were not deathly, but sometimes they prevented you from training. Even if Benjiro was calm and kind, he had clear orders and that was for him not to go easy on you. It was such a  grueling training that at some points you had to stop training because you would faint of exhaustion or even blood loss.

But you managed to survive. Yes, in the span of three years you were able to reach closer to Temari's level. Not quite there but almost, quite a feat, the Kazekage said it himself. He said it so probably, even in front of their own kids when you received your headband. Why he felt such pride? Maybe you were misinterpreting things, but it that pride felt close to that one that a father holds when their kid achieved something. Maybe you were wrong, but that thought alone made your life a little brighter.

Even Benjiro was more that shocked at your progress, at how easily you managed to learn so fast. Not only did you learn the basics of the ninja arts, you surpassed that, no, his expectations. During these years though, you accepted his offer. That however, was not the only thing you learned. 

You came to the understanding of what the Kazekage had in store for you. The moment you decided accept his offer, he had already decided for you what you had to do, or what you'll specialize in. Infiltration. But he was kind enough to let Benjiro teach you, as long as it did not affected his desired role for you.

"Jeez. Hey, idiot stop staring like a weirdo and snap out of it." Temari smacked your head earning a Yelp of surprise from you. 

"Sorry, what is it?" The girl, no longer the 12 year old girl stood in front of you. With three years already passing, she now was 15, the same age as you. 

She rolled her eyes. "You're unbelievable." It was then that your eyes traveled to the other two siblings. 

Sending a smile to the now 14 year old Kankuro and the 12 year old Gaara, you could not help but feel at ease. You felt at home, you didn't have a family, yes, but if you ever came to consider something a family, that would be the trio, Benjiro and even the Kazekage. These people had more faith in you than your real parents, or even your sister had in you. 

Though, Gaara was entirely a whole different...Case. You came to know them more, spent time with them but you also came to realize why he always was so silent. He always had this murderous aura around him. For a good reason, people were afraid of him but you could also understand why. You learned more of his persona, and why people were so afraid of him. Apparently he had a tailed beast sealed inside of him, and there had been occasions where he would lose control. 

It must not have been easy for him. People were always afraid of him, it was heartbreaking to even see his own siblings scared of him. You've tried to stay close, to form some kind of friendship but it failed. It was inevitable not to feel guilty, because also he only made threats, those really chilled you to the bone. So, you just decided to stay close but at the same time to keep your distance.

The saddest thing, was that he was not helping himself. He made it impossible for people to be close to him, he always threatened people. You just hoped that one day he would change because in the end, he will be the only one to suffer.

"The Kazekage wants to see you." Finally Kankuro explained. "It looks like you'll finally be sent to your first mission." He even added a wide smile. "Look at you, you're finally going to get your first mission."