Chapter 68

"Finally," as soon as you entered your home a voice greeted your ears. Most importantly, what made you freeze was that the owner of that voice had his lips next to your ear. His hands had already made their way to your arms to stop you from attack him but you had been startled that you only froze.

Your mind was in a frenzy, and you panicked inside in fear as it came out with the conclusion as to who it could be. The months of lack of practice, you could do nothing but stay still. The man's touch was gentle and in the same manner, he finally removed them and you felt as his body was unglued from your back. "You're afraid," he almost whispered coming to realize why. "I am Sasuke, or have you forgotten me?"

Finally you let out a shaky breath as a hand came to rest on your chest, you swallowed hard and rested on the dark shadow of Sasuke. He took a few steps and turned the light switch on. And it was finally that gour eyes landed on his form.

Your childhood friend, he was standing in front of you and he was just as broken as you were. Life had been awful to the two of you. "Even if I tried, I don't think I would be able to forget you."
Upon your words, you noticed just how his eyes widened just for a few moments. Slowly you moved so that you could take a seat, and as you did you felt Sasuke's eyes on your back. After you finally took a seat, you waited for him to sit down but he didn't. Letting out a long breath, you couldn't help but let a sad smile adorn your lips. "You know, sometimes when I go to sleep I always think about how life would have been if I hadn't left. I always ask myself if I hadn't left, if I would have convinced you to stay. Would we have been happy if the two of us had taken a different path? If we had taken the advantage and opportunity that life had given us."

You couldn't tell what he was thinking, but the mind was a powerful thing. Specially when you were alone, and he too wondered that sometimes. "You know why I am here." But he had a purpose and nothing would stop him from accomplish it.

"I don't think I would have said this before but... I'm happy now. I feel safe here, I feel happy with my friends and nothing is going to make me go back to the person I used to be. Look at what that brought me. " You were doing better, you looked strong but a part of your past still lingered in you and it brought you pain.

Something, there was something about seeing you seating there that made his mouth close. No words left his lips, and something in his chest twisted. Despite everything, you looked happy. Without a word he retrieved a scroll and tossed it to you. "Do you know how you managed to travel back in time?" He said as you unrolled the scroll. "Your friend Toyo served you as a Link when you traveled back in time. "

Your eyes scanned a part of the scroll and something seemed to make sense to you. "That's... That's why he never said anything...." Because no matter how much you or Rafu asked him, he always refused to say where he came from.

"You came back but you changed the past," and sure enough you began to read what apparently Toyo had told the Hokage. According to him, there was a story about someone who had traveled back in time. Said person was nothing but a menace, that was why Time Keeper had created a group of hunters to get rid of any one who abused their ability. Toyo assumed you had been this person, and if there was any Time Keepers, or Hunters left.... It would be a matter of time before they made their appearance.

Your fingers grasped the paper and it crinkled as you tightened your hold. "They promised they would protect me..."

"That was their intention," he admitted and he pulled out another scroll. Once more he tossed it to you, you unrolled it and began to read.

It wasn't a request but a demand to turn you in. Your eyes scanned the whole document only to land on the date of the document. It had been sent around a week ago, and they were giving the Hokage a month(quite generous of them), to turn you in. "They wouldn't... Right?"

"Some have said that the Lead Village is a heaven but in order to keep said heaven sometimes sacrifices need to be made. Kakashi could tell you that." You didn't understand what he was trying to tell you. It to be more specific, that Kakashi had once tried to sacrifice himself to save the village. All the while the Hokage stood back and did absolutely nothing to save him, had it not been for the hot headed of Naruto, Kakashi wouldn't be alive today. "Time Keepers are peaceful but dangerous.  Having them threatened the village I'm sure you know that Hokage isn't about to risky the well being of it. Do Hokage isn't going to protect you when she knows the danger she's going to put the village in. One life to sacrifice to safe dozens of others. "

Just to prove his point, he tossed you get another scroll. This one was clearly for the Time Keepers and you didn't need to read what was inside to know what had been the Hokage's response. "I... I'm not a threat to them, I did nothing to change the past."

"You're an I trained Time Keeper and by now they know your past. I'm curious though," he waited for you to offer him your attention. "They can travel back in time, they could have done so to kill you. Why wait now?"

"They had to wait," you responded putting the scrolls at your side. The happiness you had earlier was gone, a tired one was adorning your face now. Almost, it almost looked as if you were ready to just give up. "If they did not, I wouldn't have traveled back in time and they would have never found out about me."

"I'm here to offer you a deal, " Sasuke finally said why he was here.

It wasn't that you didn't know that he was here to offer you a deal. Why would he show up now? To see you? Please. " Let me guess, " you stood up from your seat. "You'll offer me protection in exchange for what exactly? Travel back in time to a time where you met Itachi? That was you could kill him instead of wasting time to find him now?" Judging by the scowl, he wasn't pleased by your words. "If it's the protection I want, in that case I have a better survival chance with the Akatsuki."

You rubbed your face, and you left your hand there. "Why can't they just leave me alone? Now that I'm happy?"

Removing the hand from your face, you turned to Sasuke. But then your hatred, your scowl softened. Slowly you approached Sasuke, and then you raised your hand only to place it on his shoulder. You were closer to him but he was now about your size. "The Leaf Village can be a heaven and yes, sacrifices were made. You know, Itachi came to me months ago with a similar offer. And you know what he told me?"

Itachi, even if Sasuke looked furious just by the sound of that name, he did not move away from your grasp. "You probably won't believe it, if it came from Itachi. But when I asked Kakashi, judging by his reaction only proved to me that Itachi wasn't wrong. Sasuke," and hearing you say that whatever his brother told you, you believed it, he pulled away. "Even when I went back in Time, there was always a struggle between the Uchiha and the Senju. In general, the Uchiha Clan was never liked, in fact, they were always considered a danger. It wasn't any different in the Leaf Village, and your Clan planned to do something about it. Before they did that, others found out and they ordered an execution of all the Uchiha. However, they found someone who could take the blame and they manipulated him. Why do you think Itachi let you live? If he wanted to Kill you, he would have done so long ago."

" Itachi joined a group of criminals, murderers like him and you really believe what he told you? " This time he came forward and grasped your arm, his gold was tight but even so, he did not let go. Even if he saw you flinch. " Itachi is no different than all of them and nothing is going to stop me from achieving my revenge."

He knew by that confession, you had already decided what you are going to do. Finally he let go of your arm, and left without a trace.

Your eyes scanned your home, the place you e lived in for the past few months. This had been the other place that had actually made you feel at home, the Sand Village being the first place. It pained you deeply, your chest hurting as you looked around. As memories of your friends began to become so vivid that it felt you were actually seeing them in front of you. Laughing, talking and sometimes sharing meals.

The your eyes landed on the scrolls, and you knew that those memories would stop here. The Hokage had already planned to turn you in, without telling them. And even if she told them, they really couldn't do anything about it. In fact, it would be far more painful for them. You couldn't live knowing that.

So, swallowing hard, you walked towards the door and opened it. Just as if fate had planned it all, one of your neighbors had arrived. The young man shared a smile with you before he entered his own home.

And just like that, the person that left that building was no longer [Name] but rather a young man. The young man continued to walk and never looked back.