Chapter 71

She made the very same mistake before, but Tsunade was a leader before anything else. Although Time Keepers had not been a danger to anyone, that did not mean they couldn't be. That was why, once more, she had to ensure the Village's safety. Even, even if a life had to be sacrificed in exchange of the lives of others.

Shikamaru, he had been here before and something told him that it wasn't pleasant what she was about to hear. The Hokage had a frown on her face as she stared at a document in front of her. "I'll be brief, Time Keepers are alive and they want [Name]. Sasuke showed all of our messages to her and now she is gone. Although it was his intention to have her join him, he ended up pushing her towards the Akatsuki."

Oh, Tsunade could read Shikamaru, and perhaps he let his guard down. And as she watched his usual relaxed form, he could see how tense he looked. She could see how Shikamaru frowned and she wondered if she had made the right choice. "Wouldn't the Time Keepers find her on their own now?" Shikamaru sounded angry, and from how he married his eyes as he looked away, he was trying to come up with a plan.

"I thought the same thing, but the know who they would be messing with if they try to take her from them. The Akatsuki have nothing to lose and they're not going to listen to the Time Keepers ' threats. So, since she was under our care, they expect us to retrieve her."

There was something else that was unsaid and Shikamaru could detect it. His heart twisted as it realized what thoughts were running through his head. Shikamaru swallowed, trying his very best to stay calm but... How could he.... "Dead, they expect you to kill her. I understand I must follow orders, however...I would think that we would have learned from them by now. "

" I have learned, and I am not that heartless Shikamaru. " She let out a sigh, " I've been told . " But she did not finish the rest, but Shikamaru pierced it all together. Despite the situation, he couldn't help but feel embarrassed. " The others still don't know about what happened, and I don't want them to find out. At least, not now. Nice them a few days, that's all I need."

" You want me to distract them and perhaps come up with a believable lie. If so, then I am assuming you had already dispatched . " Shikamaru didn't like that the Hokage always came to him when things like this happened. He was still recuperating from the last time, the more he thought about it, the more he grimaced. Had Naruto, Sakura and Sai not interfered, Kakashi Sensei wouldn't be alive today. In fact, if possible, he grimaced even more to know that he had been so strict and he had been so determined to stop the trip to save Kakashi. And for the safety of the village and those he loved, that was what drove Shikamaru to stop them. And now, and now that he... That you meant more than it should to him, he wondered... He wasn't sure he would do the same thing now.

The Hokage nodded. "Yes, that's why it has been concerned that she has joined the Akatsuki. "

"Do they know her location?"

"From the last message, the team lost track of her. However, they're still after her, trying to find her location. But once that happens we will require more than just that team. But Naruto and the others don't need to find out, if they do, they're going to ignore any order I give them and they're going to go and find her. To bring her back. "

But it wasn't fair, sometimes things were not fair for some people. But it really wasn't right, you've done a lot of good to everyone and in exchange of your own happiness. In exchange of your own torture for the safety of others. Perhaps it wasn't done in the correct manner, but if hadn't done it in such a way, many girls wouldn't be living their life and free. Besides, you've changed, you promised you would live your life like any other civilian. And the Hokage had promised you protection, a protection that the Hokage was no longer going to provide. In fact, she was going to sacrifice for the sake of the village. "Even if I lie to them, they always will find a way to find the truth. It has been days since she was gone, and days have passed since you told them she went to visit the Kazekage.... They're going to figure out something is not right. And let's just say that, that I convince them that she's going to stay with them. Naruto maybe believe it, but others won't. Neji is sharp, he's going to figure it out. I'm not sure he's going to keep it himself. " Specially since he has spent plenty of time with you, enough time to form a friendship....

"I know. But all I need is a few days. The further away she is, the better it is for everyone. " This time Tsunade's eyes softened as she looked at Shikamaru. "I know how some of you feel about her, I know how you feel about her Shikamaru. And I know by telling you this, I am putting a burden on your shoulders. But you need to realize that, as much as we want her to protect her ... We can't. Even if we risk the village, we can't protect her. And it's better than she is away from all of you." Because they would have to face the burden of watching you die.

Even as Shikamaru took a deep breath and then exhaled, it didn't list the weight off of his chest. "Yesterday we agreed that we would meet at the barbeque restaurant. I'll take the opportunity to try to convince them. "

" Thank you Shikamaru, " and with that, Tsunade watched as Shikamaru left the office.
---
Had the meeting taken any longer, he would have been late. In fact, his ears caught the various voices of his friends.

He passed walking as, his mind betraying and making him feel even worse. If you were here, he would have been able to recognize your voice. And his chest would have felt warm and fuzzy.

But your voice wasn't there, and his chest ft heavier and suffocating. "Hey, Shikamaru!" Choji shouted as he made room for his friend.

Slowly Shikamaru took a seat at Choji's side. The others chattered amongst themselves while they waited for their order to be taken. Shikamaru remained silent, glaring at the table. "I spoke to the Hokage," finally he began to say, and just not to worry anyone, he made sure to raise his gaze.

"Oh! Was it about [Name]?! When will she return? I miss her, believe it." At first Naruto sounded enthusiastic but the last part sounded like a whisper.

Shikamaru shouldn't, he definitely shouldn't. Naruto taught him a lesson, he always does. However, the more Shikamaru tried to come up with a plan... Nothing came up. Because, the Hokage wasn't wrong. Time Keepers would not stop until you were dead, he wasn't sure how they could protect you when they were up against people who controlled time.

*Me too, you know, Akamaru got used to taking walks around the village..... " And sure enough, Amakaru whined earning Kiba rubbing Akamaru's head.

" Honestly, my mom has been telling she misses her too. She has been asking me when she's going to be back." Ino agreed.

"She's fine, she's with her other friends. In fact, I would say she's happier there. "

"You don't... She isn't going to stay there? Is she?" Defeated, Naruto questioned ignoring the people bringing them their food.

"The Hokage and Kazekage have been speaking for quite a while now. They two of them came to an agreement, and that... There is no other place she would be happier than the Sand Village. So, yes, she's going to stay there. She said she was going to come, but they're not entirely sure when." Every word Shikamaru said, felt like it was cutting his throat. With every word, he struggled to speak.

Naruto began to argue, and so did the others but eventually they stopped. Soon after they began to eat. But, Neji watched as Shikamaru did not take a single bite from his food. He took notice how Shikamaru didn't even argue or muttered when Choji said Shikamaru was going to pay.

When they all finished and said goodbye, Neji remained back. "You were lying, what happened to [Name]? It must be important for the Hokage to order you to lie to us. "

He knew Neji wouldn't be so stupid, and so Shikamaru told him what the Hokage had told him. When he was done, Neji did not utter a word, but the expression on his face said it all. Neji was furious, Neji was more than angry. " Are you all just going to give up on her? Do you have any idea all the strength she had to gather to continue to live? She did if more for our sake than ours, and eventually she found a purpose. Now she is being pushed away by the Hokage? She promised her safety. And you're... You're telling me she is being hunted down. "

" She joined the Akatsuki, and if it isn't the Leaf Village, it will be someone else. As much as we want, we can't protect her. " A voice deep inside told Shikamaru that there was something they could do.

" We said the same thing about Kakashi, and he was saved. " Neji was calm, but by the tone of his voice he snapped. " And wether we can keep her safe or not should be everyone's choice. They need to know the truth. " Neji began to walk away, " just like Naruto once said. " Those who abandon their comrades are worse than scum."

Neji didn't need a kunai to stab him, but it sure as hell felt as if Neji had stabbed Shikamaru on his chest. What pained Shikamaru the most was that he decided to follow orders, orders that would bring harm to you.... The person he... Loves.