Chapter 97

The future was a complicated topic, and although you've talked about it with your friends years ago... You never considered what you wanted your future to look like. The reason behind that was because you didn't feel like you had a future, it almost felt as if you had been born to continue helping kids. Yes, you were happy to help. There was no greater reward than to see kids happy.

But... But how should you react now that you were told you would die? It felt as if a huge weight had been placed on your shoulders. It felt suffocating, and it made you feel anxious.

"You haven't said anything since you stayed with that boy. What happened?" Obito questioned, his eyes turning to the small house that had been offered as shelter.

The night was cold, but you could not stay inside. It felt suffocating and it was hard to breathe. So you decided to spend the night outside and made a fire, not long ago Obito had arrived. Telling you that the others had already delivered the kids to their homes and that they were safe. "You once had a goal."

And you knew that by now, that goal made Obito's face twist in distaste. "You once said it was an illusion, and yes, I've come to realize that. Now I have a greater goal." His eyes were on you, studying you." What did he tell you? "

Letting out a long breath, you rubbed your face. You were tired, but your mind wasn't. No matter how much you tried to sleep, you knew you wouldn't be able to. " After I left, years ago, I  wanted to go back either to the Sand Village or the Leaf. I had planned to ask for sanctuary, for us all. I knew life wasn't just fighting, as much as I love helping kids. I thought that they would even allow us to be part of teams dispatched to investigate the cases of the disappearance of kids. " Because you're all humans, you all deserve a piece of happiness. Having to see just how much pain they can bring to kids is...Depressing. It always makes you think that the world is a horrible place to be in. Everyone needs a balance. "But none of that happened, and we had to take that task. My question is," You turn to face Obito. "If I died, what would you do?"

That made Obito frown, stare at you for a few seconds, and then turn to the flames of the fire. His hands curled into fists. "Why would you ask that?"

"Because whether I like it or not, you had a goal. You had your vision of what that goal was. Even if no one liked that goal, even if it seemed wrong. But it was your goal, what kept you alive and moving on. I've taken that from you, an-"

"You've taken nothing from me," he snapped but not at you. More as to the meaning of his words. "You gave me a reason to live, to make this world a better place for others even if done in small steps. " His eyes softened as he offered his gaze to you once more. "But to be frank with you, I do not know what I would do. I don't think the others would know what they'll do."

"You know that boy, " you motioned with your chin towards the house. " He comes from the future. " And almost, you laughed as his eyes widened in shock. Think exactly what you thought from the start.

" He's not my kid, " finally you clarified. " He traveled back using a device. You know what he said to me? That I die. "

" Well, change it. " Obito fired the right way, " you're more than capable of doing so. "

Could you though? You could travel back in time, the moment you died there would be no one else who could travel back in time to save you. You wouldn't be able to save yourself if you wanted to. Unless that kid explained how you died, then there was an opportunity to change that. " Even so, " you continued, " what's going to happen to these kids? The only reason most brothels are gone is because we've taken them down."

Obito's shoulders slumped. " You really wouldn't be able to save yourself. There wouldn't be a future you to travel back to save you. But you can travel back in time, and change your future. To live the life you wanted to have, even, " he lowered his head. " Even if we do not take part of your life."

The others, Itachi and Sasuke had joined your team. You've all accomplished more than you imagined. But you couldn't, you would never really regret what you've done with them. " No, " you shook your head, offering Obito a smile. "It had been an honor to have you three being part of this journey. And I'll never regret it, even if I do end up dying."

Did you even have any idea how painful that would be to some people? To Sasuke, to Itachi, and him? There had been just a few who he truly cared about, one of them had died already and he could still remember the pain from that. Losing someone as an adult, someone he cared about would destroy him completely.

A yawn escaped your lips, "we should probably get a couple of hours of rest. Tomorrow we have to figure out what to do with Boruto, and to search for the future Sasuke. He might be looking for Boruto. " You proceeded to kick sand on the fire and stopped until it was gone. Since Obito wasn't moving, you grabbed his hand and led him to the house.

Obito followed you, just like he had always followed you... And just like he intended to continue to follow you until he was physically unable to.