Chapter 39

Home sweet home. This wasn't the place you were born in, nor was one where you were raised, but the couple of years you spent there felt nothing but home. There have been so much acceptance and so much hope here in the Sand Village that as you gazed upon its gates, you could not help but feel a pang of sadness.

"You should all wait here while I explain why you're here." Kakashi explained as he began to enter the Village.

Ino, who had tried to get to know you during the travel, approached you with with a sad expression on her face. "Are you okay?"

Were you okay? Yes, you were. How much you wanted to just go in and find the siblings! You wanted to hug them and see how they had grown, how they were just doing. "I'm just happy to be back, even if for a couple of hours." With a smile, you explained as you waited to be allowed to enter the Village without having to face any sort of battle.

Maybe a half an hour later, your companion returned informing everyone that you were all welcomed in the Village. Without hesitation, you rushed in and just stopped masking your chakra and you were just being you.

Even if some called out to you, you just vanished searching for the three familiar chakras. Even after this years, you could still remember their chakra signature. It wasn't difficult to guess where they would be, they used to spent most of their time just teasing and you doubted that had changed.

Sure enough, as you got near the training grounds, your smile grew bigger upon seeing the familiar red and blond hair, and the black outfit of Kankuro.

All happened in slow motion, one moment Temari was scolding Kankuro and the next, she stopped with wide eyes. Slowly, she turned to face your direction and before you could greet her, she sprinted forward reaching for her giant fan. Next thing you know, you were sent flying a couple if feet away from them.

Footsteps followed and soon, she was hovering over you with a frown. "Give me a good reason why I should not kill you right now."

Your smile faltered, she was pissed. Why wouldn't she? You had told them that you would keep in touch and yet, you had broken that promise. Looking away from her, you sat down and then rose to your feet getting rid of any sand from your clothing at the same time. "There is no good excuse for me to break a promise, I'm sorry."

The movement of the other two indicated that they had been aware of your presence. But unlike Temari, Kankuro had you in a tight hug before you greeted him. His abruptness startled you, but once you broke out of the shock, your arms engulfed his form just as tight as his hold. "Kankuro," you started as you tried to pull away but the male refused to let go.

When he was prepared, he pull away but he remained close to your form as if he wanted to drink in your form. As if he was convincing himself that you were not just an illusion, and that you were really there. "[Name]." Although it was just your name, he said it all with it. He was just as angry as his sister but he was relieved and happy to see you.

Reminding yourself why you had been here, your eyes searched for Gaara. Said male was standing at Temari's side. There was a huge change, the way he stood there silently but his aura wasn't filled with hatred, it was calm. A small smile was placed on his lips as he watched you. Though, that was not the only thing that had changed, he was now grown up, taller and very handsome.

Your eyes did not tear away from his as you stepped closer to him. His hand stretched forward as a sign of a greeting but instead of just grasping it, you pulled him into your arms. He was frozen to the spot as he felt your hold tighten around him, but eventually, he returned the hug. "Would you look at you," finally you spoke as you pulled away but placing your hands on his shoulders, "you're no longer that kid."