Chapter 70

Compassion, it was one of the things that drove you to help those girls. You've had had a lot of it, you wanted them to be free and to live happy. But compassion was definitely not what you were feeling now. Even as the young male kneeled in front of you, inside that cell. Even when he looked malnourished and even thirsty. Even when he had dragged himself towards the cell's door, where he weakly raised his head to look at you. There was absolutely no ounce of compassion from you.

The young male made a noice and you were not sure what that was. Probably the broken nose.  "So," he swallowed, probably feeling his throat dry. "Finally you show your true colors. You're nothing but a criminal."

Pain stood at your side, the leader had not said a word since you arrived. Which was not long ago, probably ten minutes ago, and this was the first place he wanted to take you to. "If I'm here is all of your fault, had I had any other choice I would have remained where I was. I was no danger to you all, if I traveled back it was nothing but a mistake. A mistake which I did not intended to make, again." Anger began to buble inside your chest. Why were they so afraid of you? There knew, they knew you had taken a different path. A path of a simple person, someone with a job, someone who had plans for the future. Like experiencing what it was to have a boyfriend, go out on date and then one day, maybe get married. Then maybe have children, and then you'll have a a boring but happy life. "I don't see why I'm so special that Time Keepers decided it was essential to create hunters just to kill me."

The man could see the sadness behind your gaze, and maybe even your rage. Time Keepers were peaceful, even if they were hunters. Hunters which although trained, had yet to take a life. And this was a young male, someone just a few years older than you. He wasn't heartless, so he did feel the guilt. Because although they had been keeping tabs on you, and although you have showed that you wanted nothing but to have some normality...But it wasn't up to him, it was up to their leader and no matter how much some of them had told him you had changed... That didn't change their leader's mindset. "Time Keepers," finally he began, "have always remained hidden, only showed themselves when they had to. That way they have kept themselves safe and way from people who could use them. You on the other hand... Hadn't exactly led a peaceful life and you certainly haven't kept a low profile. They have to make sure to ensure the safety of the past and the future. " 

Then, there it was... That softeners in your eyes, a softness that only belonged to someone noble. " So it doesn't matter how peaceful I live my life, I'm still going to be killed by your people. "

His silence was the answer to your question. "We are humans, and as humans we commit mistakes. With your past they're afraid you're going to go back to what you used to, and essentially use your ability for it. I hope you understand we are follow orders, it is nothing personal."

Pain watched you, watched your face to see what kind of reactions you would show. Despite all you've faced, be expected you to feel rage, hatred even. But it seemed all you've experienced so far hasn't changed that compassion. Slowly you lowered your gaze to floor. "Sometimes the worse of atrocities have been done by people following orders."  And then continued to turn around. "I hope you can also understand this is not personal, I'm just trying to survive." And then you walked out.

Though on your way out, you passed Hidan. The white haired ? Man sent you a smirk, with malice of course. Then you heard the young male scream in terror upon setting his gaze on Hidan.

This was a big hideout, and some of the members were currently staying here. That included Itachi and even Tobi. As for the rest, you were not sure if they were around or not.

When you did come to face Itachi, you stopped only to stare at him. Instead of talking, he took a turn to the left, where there was a hall. You followed him until you came to stand in what seemed to be his room.

But you didn't speak, not did he. Instead you watched him for a minute until you finally decided to say something. "Sasuke came to see me, he's the reason why I'm here."

Sasuke, if he wasn't important to Itachi then you wouldn't see that spark of worry in Itachi's eyes. "I'm assuming to aid him in his search for me."

Your life hasn't been the happiest, but you supposed it could be worse. Because you could only imagine the pain Itachi must feel. The pain and guilt he had carried all this time. He was forced to kill his clan, and to feed Sasuke's hatred for him. In Itachi's own way of love, he was doing it so that Sasuke could grow strong and perhaps so that he wouldn't be taken advantage of. "You think you're protecting him, but you have no idea how much you're going to destroy him when he finds out the truth."

His fingers twitched as he glared at you. "I suggest you keep the truth to yourself unless you wish to die. "

You ignored his threat instead. " That's a bit too late, not that he believed me anyway. But someday he's going to truly find out and when he does, do you think he's going to forgive the Hidden Leaf Village? "

But if he cared, he didn't show it. Instead he changed the subject. " Do you really think you can trick Pain? Do you really think you can come, learn what you need to learn and then leave? Because I know that's what you're planning."

" I debated dying while I came here, do you think I'm afraid of dying at Plain's hands? " The more you thought about your future, about the challenges you had to change.... Death seemed a lot more pleasant. You didn't have to worry about Time Keepers, you didn't have to worry about disappointing your friends. But most importantly, you wouldn't have to carry on with the pain you still carried with yourself. " If you had the intention of telling him, you would have done so already. Anyway, you probably wanted to hear about Sasuke and that's all I know. " Not wanting to having others becoming suspicious, you opened the door and you were about to completely leave the room.

" If I were you, I would look out for Hidan." But you continued to leave though he knew you had heard him. He watched the exit of the room, thoughts running on his mind. There was a peculiar one that stood out the most; he had a favor to cash up and he would when he needed it.