Chapter 100

A traveling device, that was what you were looking for at the moment. You could say that it was your priority, but kids will always be your priority. So you wanted information, a location perhaps, but you could not go around asking everyone. If you did that, there would be unwanted eyes, and unwanted company who would want it too.

That was why you asked only those you trusted. But it seemed no one knew about such a thing. No one heard any rumors, so you had to look harder. And maybe look for other help.

The Sand Village and the Leaf Village would help if you asked. At least,  you hoped they would. But just like before, certain information would reach the wrong ears, and you didn't want any more problems than the ones you already had.

That was one of your priorities, but you did not push aside your plans. Though, at the moment, you didn't have any brothels in your plans just yet. But none of that was the case of the deep lines forming on your face, which had formed a frown. "I've seen you troubled before, but none of those times have had you this troubled? What is it?"
Itachi asked softly,  gently even maybe as to not startle you.

How...How long did you have to live? Sasuke said it had been years since he had seen you. But how many years? Did you have a couple of more years to do as much as you could to help kids? Or maybe to step back and enjoy life. Spend it with your friends until your time to die arrives. Letting out a long exhale, you stopped walking and turned to face the brothers. "This device," you partly lied, "can bring people to the past, and since its origin is the future, it can be problematic if it lands in the wrong hands. "

Silence, not a word, came in reply. At least for a few seconds, until Sasuke snapped. "It's rather insulting that you think we're that gullible. We both, whatever he-I," he corrected himself, "told you have a lot to do with why you're so upset. What happened?"

Frown, that was how you reacted. "I know you're not stupid.  And I wasn't lying  about the device. What has me upset is of no importance.  I assure you."

He didn't believe it. Otherwise, Sasuke wouldn't have narrowed his eyes. "Of no importance  to us but to Obito." With that remark, Sasuke continued the walk and even increased the speed at which he moved.

"That's his way to show he cares," Itachi stood closer to you. If the two of you were the same size,  your shoulders would be touching. "He's worried, we all are."

"I know, but for now, let's just focus on finding the device. It hasn't been that long since Boruto and Sasuke arrived in the past. But we better find it sooner rather than later."

Itachi had to step in front of you to prevent you from taking a step. "Yes, it is important, but that does not make it a priority. You are currently our priority,  and something is bothering you." He raised his hand to place it on your shoulder.

Right now, you hoped that came to your mind was with your usefulness. " I appreciate the sentiment,  but I'm not a priority. " You frowned as you sidestepped Itachi and began to walk. Itachi was quick to follow.

What were you going to do? Now that you knew you were going to die? Protecting kids by bringing brothels down is what you all have been doing. And before you knew your future, it was all you had in mind. To keep doing it.

But what will happen after you're gone? Will the villages take some responsibility and do something to protect kids? Kids are the future, so they should be protecting them. Sasuke and the rest moved on with their lives. They had formed a family.  That was what awaited them, but what of the other kids?

Cursing. You stopped abruptly.  "Sasuke said that the enslavering of kids never stops. And I've always known that. Villages had ignored what was happening because they knew we were doing their job. But, we're... we're not immortal, and we're prone to dying.  I didn't think much of it. But what is going to happen if some of us die?" Your mouth felt so dry, and even if you tried to swallow some saliva, there was none. "While we look for the device, I'll be visiting some villages, and I'll try to force them to do their part. Starting now, they should be doing something about it and should continue to do so in the future  as well."

Realization flashed across Itachi's face as his eyes widened. "You die, don't you? That's why you're so worried." All you could do was to look away, eyebrows furrowed. But that was soothed as Itachi turned your face and, with his thumb, caressed your cheek. "You control time, you can prevent it, so why aren't  you planning on that?"

"I don't  know." You admitted. "I could try to figure out how it happens. I could, but all I could do was prevent it here. If I die, there is no future me that can travel back in time. "

"But, do you want to? Do you want to change your future?" That was the most important question.

You were going around in circles with the topic. But, it was true. Do you want to change your future or allow it to take its course?