Chapter 54: Business

I ran down the stairs for lunch and had a wiff of mom's amazing dish.

"You're going to busy in the next few days, Chloe." Dad sliced the steak on his plate and softly stabbed it with his fork, "Maybe a week if it drags out longer than I expect."

I sat down and looked at him in confusion, "Dad I have school, It's almost finals and I haven't studied, plus, I'm actually not sure if I learned anything properly."

"We've already had you go to the best schools and tutors before, yes?" Mom commented and I lowered my head.

"It's not gonna be like the meeting before, don't worry." Dad comforted me to which I at least felt a little grateful for. "It's going to be a bussiness party. Connection is important and I taught you that."

"Yes Dad..." I mumbled, "But the classes I take today doesn't really connect with bussiness and all."

I internally pat myself on the back for choosing STEM, I knew it would be a smart escape for times like this.

"I'll have Gerard talk to your teacher about that," Mom smiled warmly. "I haven't seen you smile lately and I'm not used to our house being so quiet sweetie."

"I'm sorry." I couldn't help but frown.

I haven't done anything right. At school I don't even know what the hell we were studying, to my friends I'm being a nuisance, and even to my parents I'm making them worried.

What happened to me.

I took a deep breath and pushed bits of steak on my plate.

"It's okay to be sad," Mom said and I looked at her, "But don't let it get to you, okay?"

"It is a business party but since its sole purpose is for networking, your friends are there too."

My eyebrows shot up, "They're going?"

"Yeah." Dad smiled, "Since it's a few days we'll let you enjoy with them."

"Just be careful please." Mom advised.

I nodded ecstaticly, "When's the party?"

"Monday Wednesday but I specifically asked them to stay until Friday for a final meething."

I gulped and I felt my chest tighten, "But- but that's tomorrow and I have class-"

"Talking to your teacher, remember?" Mom chuckled, "Just accept it Chloe, I'm sure you'll have fun."

"It's not that mom it's-" I looked at them and they had worried expressions, waiting for me to continue what I said.

"It's nothing." I cracked a smile, "Casual attire?"

He nodded, "Of course you can wear whatever but it's a formal party, a lot of potential bussiness partners will be there. Be my amazing spy too, okay?"

He had a nickname for my mom and I when I was little, he'd say we were spies and for me I'd have a mission to know information about people's children they'd take with them in every business parties or corporate dinners.

I remember telling him one of my new friends was an heir and he lifted me up called me amazing.

Hence the name.

"That's cringy but okay," I smiled at him but his jaw dropped.

"Honey I think I'm getting old," He turned to her worryingly.

"We both are," She smiled, "you can say we're both getting out-of-date."

He sighed loudly in relief, "Okay good because you reminded me how much I love getting old with you."

"You're such a kid." She covered her mouth and laughed.

His eyes widened and pushed a small part of rice away from his plate and have it fall on the table, "Do this quick!!"

She gasped, "David I'll have to cle-"

"SHHH- quick!" He shook his head, "don't worry I'll clean it." He whispered.

Mom gave me a glance before doing as he told, as if silently telling me, 'are you seeing this?"

"There." He said, proud of himself and the pieces of rice beside their plates, "Now we're both kids."

I looked at them, amused at their ironic childishness.

"You guys are lame," I cut my steak with my fork and ate happily.

"You just don't get us." Mom smugly said, "Up-top."

Dad nodded and raised his hand, giving mom a high five.

They laughed to themselves and we continued eating, the both of them talking to each other and me thinking to myself.

What are my friends up to?

I changed back to my old number because I didn't want them to remind me how exciting it was to skip classes with them but I forgot to change it back.

After lunch I offered to wash the dishes and have dad clean the table so mom could have a break from doing these even just for one Sunday.

I told them I'm going at the mall to buy new clothes and get ready for tomorrow since my closet's full of skirts, it's been a while since dad held a work party.

"When I turn 18 I promise that'll be the last time you'd ever give me a ride." I hopped on the passenger seat.

"Maybe 24," He said and I asked why.

He shrugged, "Because you'd be like mid-twenties but still considered early twenties?"

"Does it work like that?"

"I don't know miss, I'll tell you when I turn 24." He grinned.

*

He dropped me off at the mall and I instinctively went to a clothing store but found nothing I like.

I decided to go to the bathroom first before going to another one and was surprised when I entered.

"Small world," Tori greeted and I didn't know what to feel.

"How are you ?" I asked in a tone too high.

"Are you sure that's what you want to say," Tori laughed lightly and washed her hands, "I'm a bit okay, Eli started to talk to me so that's at least a step."

I went into a stall and pulled down my skirt, "Good for you I guess..."

"Yeah, Marco's been helping a lot."

Quickly doing my business, I washed my hands and didn't reply to her.

"I followed them."

I turned to her, "Seriously, Tori?"

"I know you hate me but please just hear me out." She pleaded.

"I don't hate you, I'm just disappointed." I cleared out.

"Then will you listen to me?"

*

Ten minutes later we're in a bookshop just in front of an android store, both of them looking at a glass encased table.

Eli was pointing at one phone, talking about something to the guy beside her with a small smile on her face.

She looked beautiful.

Marco has his arm crossed with his one arm propped on the other, seemingly playing with his clean, but unshaven face.

The guy's weird, I scoffed to myself.

"You okay Chloe?" Tori pulled me out of my train of thought and I nodded in embarrassment.

Eli shook her head and they walked.

And it was like they're planning to go here in the bookshop.

"Shit here they come-" Tori pulled me by my skirt and led me to the corner.

I followed her but I couldn't get the image of them together out of my head.

What am I going to do?