Chapter 63: Grounded

"...surprise?" Chloe nervously laughed and crawled out of the cabinet.

Tori gave me a pointed look and I raised my hands up in defense.

"Are they really here or are you bluffing?" She walked towards us and dusted herself.

"They are." Tori said in a bored manner, "Why would I be awake at 7am when I decide to skip class and talk about your parents to her."

"Are they angry?" She asked.

"Their daughter disappeared in the middle of the night, they're ecstatic." Tori deadpanned.

"Hey."

"Hey." she mocked me and I narrowed my eyes at her, "I'm supposed to be asleep, let me be mean."

"Let's just go down." I rolled my eyes and held Chloe's hand and pulled her outside.

She resisted and I turned to her, "come on, let's go."

"They're probably angry." She said with fear in her eyes, her grip on my hand a little tight.

Her reaction reminded me of my old self whenever I get past my curfew and it instantly made me feel bad.

I looked down and noticed her right hand clutching the hem of her shirt.

My hand moved by itself and intertwined it with hers. I ignored the fluttering feeling in my stomach.

But my anxiety easily overpowered it. The thoughts of them acting the same as my dad made my whole body cold.

"We're still gonna go down anyway, they're just worried." I gulped and gave her hand a little squeeze.

She nodded and the three of us went down the stairs and headed to the living room.

Elise, Alexis, David, and Olivia were all there, having a discussion with small smiles playing on their faces.

David was the first to notice us and he was the one to speak up, "Look who we have here!"

"Hi." Chloe said anxiously.

"Holding hands I see." He commented.

I let go and hid my hands behind my back, "She was scared so I tried to comfort her"

"Okay." he said skeptically. "Sit. Let's talk."

"Just Chloe or?"

"Both of you." Olivia chimed in. Her voice was monotone so I couldn't pick up if she was mad or not.

"Can I?" Tori asked and pointed upstairs, clearly not wanting to be part of the conversation.

"Yes, we're sorry for waking you up." Elise answered and Tori looked relieved. She gave me a thumbs up and walked out.

We sat down on a different couch, making us face them.

The waves of awkwardness crashing down on us as we stared at each other.

"I'm sorry..." I heard Chloe mumble.

They had their arms crossed, observing Chloe, letting her have her time to talk.

She was sitting straight with her hands rested on her lap.

"For going out without permission in the middle of the night..."

"And?" David asked, Chloe looked up and made eye contact before looking down again.