Chapter 80: eavesdropping

Chloe's P.O.V

I woke up in a smile.

She really just did that.

I sat up and stretched my arms. I turned beside me and found it empty.

Anxiety spread through me and I felt my heart beat faster. I looked around only to find pair of clothes on the table.

It was sweet. But I had to know if she went home and left me here.

I scrambled to get of bed and first thing I noticed was how numb I felt, giddiness flowed through me.

This isn't the time. I groaned in my head.

Picking out a robe from my cabinet, I quickly went downstairs.

"I'm sorry, sir"

I heard distant mumbles from the dining area.

I stopped midway the stairs and eavesdropped to their conversation. I shouldn't be doing this but I was too curious to know.

"I got a call from your teacher today." I heard dad say.

Oh no...

"I know both of you are having fun with each other's company but you have to balance it out." mom added.

"I'll make sure to keep us back on track."

"Chloe's excused, yes, but that doesn't mean you two will ignore school."

"I'm sorry..."

"And the mess last night?"

"It's on me" she said in a heartbeat, "Chloe was asleep and I wanted to surprise her but I fell asleep beside her when I checked on her last night"

My eyes widened and my heart swelled in admiration. She left me out of it.

"Elizabeth." I heard dad say. Even from here, I felt how serious he was from that tone.

"Yes sir"

"Be honest." He started, "What are you two"

My heart started drumming against my chest and I wanted- needed to know her answer.

Still crouching, I decided to go down further but I stepped on the end of my robe and slipped.

I held on the edge and stopped myself from falling.

The talking stopped.

They heard me.

I stood and went back to my room.

I threw the robe inside my closet and ran to the bed, covering myself under the sheets.

Act normal act normal act normal. I said again and again.

Taking deep breaths, I felt my heart started beating more normal paced overall became more calm.

I probably was too calm because my sight blurred out and I fell asleep.

-

Warm voice called me out of my slumber, "Chlo"

I turned and opened my eyes, finding Liz smiling brightly.