Chapter 65: Phone

"Life must be easy for you," I said the second she steps into the room.

I couldn't help but feel jealousy over her. She has everything that I don't. A huge house, supporting parents, a fixed future where she'll live with light shoulders and no financial troubles.

Like her life's already typed out in a book with a golden cover and the most precious ink used to print every word.

The bed dipped as she sits down at the edge of it, looking at me with worry.

"I- I'm sorry..." She mumbled, guilt evident in her voice.

I shook my head and sighed deeply, "No it's not- you don't have to apologize, I'm sorry."

"Did mom call you?" She asked and I nodded.

"I'll go out and check with Jonathan this weekend, maybe he needs someone to help him at the cafe."

"We can go there together!" 

I don't want to disturb Chloe in her free time...

it felt like when Kristy offered to sit with me a couple of times at the cafeteria. "Oh no, I have my motorcycle, that's alright."

Chloe laughed awkwardly, I noticed her fingers pinching the covers repeatedly; something she does when she's nervous. "That's okay too!"

"Are you...okay?" I asked warily, I don't know what she's feeling... I hope she doesn't hate me for declining.

"Am I being annoying?" 

"Wait- what?" I chuckled, kind of confused at what she just asked.

"Do you think I'm being clingy?"

"What- What? No!" I profusely shook my head and gave her a confused look, "Why would I be?"

She bit her bottom lip, her dimple showing itself to me. "Well... You've been kind of distant since earlier..."

I didn't even notice. I was so out of it and stuck in my thoughts that I didn't even realize I was ignoring her all along.

"I'm so sorry." I breathed deeply, "I'm having all these thoughts and calculating some budgets." I pointed at my phone, showing her the calculator app on display.

"That's your phone?" She said, cutting me off and picking up my cracked iPhone xs.

"Y-yeah..." I said, embarrassed. "It's been holding up well."

"What do you mean holding up well? This is cracked, Liz."

"It was the latest model when dad got it for me," I said and took the phone from her, placing it down with the screen facing the mattress.

"Yeah, two years ago." She said sternly, "We're getting a new one."

"Chloe..." I looked at her and I knew I had to swallow the embarrassment down to the pits of my stomach, "I don't have anything with me right now..."

"That's completely okay," She stood up, "I'm getting you one."

"Chloe I really can't do that..." 

"It's quick and easy, trust me!" She smiled, "Come on, I'll get us there if you don't feel like driving, I have my card and everything."

I breathed in the heavy feeling and slowly, I knew I was about to break down. This is the first time I felt the difference in our economic status. 

There were times when Tori had to pick me up for weeks because I didn't have enough for gas. It was either that or lunch money. I couldn't get a job too because I wasn't allowed.

Dad wanted me to rely on him when he couldn't even provide for both of us.

I shook my head, "Hey... is it okay if you could give me a few seconds?" I whispered.

"Oh sure." She nodded, "I'll wait for you in the car."

"No..." I looked down, tears falling down the sheets. 

"Just...alone..." My voice quivered and she stepped back.

"Okay." She walked out and I waited a little bit before bursting out in tears.