Chapter 44

"What about you?" I asked her.

"You." she said.

I kept on a neutral face, I didn't know what to feel.

She propped herself up with her elbow and stared at me.

I looked at her and smiled, "what?"

"You're really pretty." She said which made me blush a little. "You know that I like you but I don't know if you like me back."

"Thanks." I said, "You're pretty too." I decided to ignore what she said after.

She sighed. "Can I kiss you?"

Her question caught me off guard. "Yeah-yeah, sure." I muttered.

She leaned down and her lips captured mine, I felt her tongue asked for entrance which I gave.

Our mouths moved in a slow pace, it was warm and soft. It was a tender kiss I guess, we eventually pulled away when oxygen was an issue.

We were both breathing heavily, our noses were only inches away and I can see her eyes dilated.

Her lips were stretched in a small smile while her eyes held sadness. I looked at her, confused.

"It's her isn't it."

I pulled away completely and looked at her sadly.

"I'm sorry, Kristy."

*

"How was it?" Was the first thing I heard when I opened the car door and sat down.

"Don't you ever get tired of asking that whenever I go on a date."

"It's interesting." He said and started driving.

"It was okay." I shrugged and put on my seatbelt.

"what do you think I should say?" I asked.

"Just be honest." He advised, "If you had fun then ask her if there's a second date, if not-"

"No I meant what should I say to Liz when we get home."

"Oh." I heard him mutter under his breath and he looked at me through the mirror. "Apologize first for saying what you said."

I nodded. "And?"

"What do you mean 'and?' I have no idea what's going on with you both."

"Nothing's going on" I told him.

"Chloe." he suddenly said, his tone getting serious.

"Yeah?" It was the first he called my by my name in weeks.

"I'm going to tell you something but don't be mad at me okay?" I saw him visibly gulp.

"Go on."

"You see... I liked you." He confessed, "A lot."

I felt my eyes bulge out of my sockets, "you what?!"

"Don't shout." He said. "I liked you. There's this girl that asked me out but I've been ignoring her question because I was planning on confessing to you until that day."

I couldn't process it. Since when? How? Why?

"What day?" I asked instead.

"When you were swimming with Elizabeth." he said and I felt protective.

"You like her?" I said with malice.

"No!" He chuckled.

"Do you like her?" He asked back.

My cheeks warmed up. "Kinda.." I mumbled. He wasn't able to hear it.

"She talked to me that night by the way, before you she went upstairs."

"She did?"

"Yeah, she asked me if I liked you to which I, of course, denied." I heard the car engine stop, we were now at the house. "She said, and I quote, 'then stop looking at her like you do.' And then said something about punching me if she founds out I did something. All I know is if her look could kill you'd be driving yourself tonight."

"That girl is scary" He laughed, "Although I could see that she was shaking. She was making threats and glaring and all that but it was really obvious that she was scared, yet she still confronted me. That's when I realized that I wasn't fit for you. I'm supposed to be your older brother. I still like you of course but not like before, I knew you wouldn't even like me back anyway."

"Yeah." Was the only thing I could say.

She threatened him. All because he stared at us that night even when she knew herself she couldn't do any violence.

I could feel my heart lighten up by that.

"Anyway I already have a girl to pursue." He added.

"Maddison?"

"Maddison" he confirmed, his lips pulled up in a smile.

"I better meet her." I said.

"Some other day." He unlocked the doors, "now go get your girl."

I looked at him, shocked.

"Of course I heard you stupid I'm not deaf."

I went out of the car with a red face and dashed to the door.

"I'm home!" I yelled with a smile on my face.

I didn't let my parents reply as I ran upstairs as fast as I could.

I think I'll kiss her. I giddily thought to myself. I'll apologize first and then I'll kiss her fast. That'd be so cute.

I grabbed the door knob and twisted it, not bothering to knock.

"HEY LIZ GUESS..." My smile instantly dropped. "...What"

Her bed was neatly made. I looked around frantically and saw her things gone.

No no no no.

I slid the mirror to the side and all her clothes were gone.

With my heart beating rapidly against my ears, I ran downstairs, I looked around the living room. Empty.

I ran to the kitchen and saw my parents looking at me sadly.

"I was... This is a prank right?" I said to them

They didn't answer.

"It was just a small fight! Why did you kick her out!" I said angrily. Feeling my eyes water.

"We didn't." Mom said.

"She went out by herself." dDd added.

"It was a misunderstanding, I didn't- I wasn't." Breathing became difficult and I started stuttering.

"Go to sleep, Chloe." Dad said, "We'll talk about this in the morning."