Chapter 66: Chloe's lesson

Chloe's POV

I frustratedly called Dad but I was left on voicemail.

The beep went off and I walked around the backyard, my left hand curled into a fist and folded next to my chest. 

"Dad," I said, pissed off. "I made Liz cry and I don't know why. I'm so confused. I need your help, please. Call me soon."

After a few minutes of pacing around, kicking small stones, and glaring at the bright, green,  grass, he still hasn't picked up.

I called him again. "Dad. All I did was offer her a phone! She said she can't and I fu- I don't understand. Her phone's all cracked and it's barely usable- I mean it still is but it's cracked!! I told her it'd be easy to get her a phone but she cried. Please call me back."

My hand clutched my phone tightly and I was getting agitated. I was impatient.

Finally, my phone rang and I immediately answered. 

"Did you listen to my voicemails??"

"Honey... lower your voice."

"I... that's not the issue please dad I need an-"

"Chloe. Lower your voice."

"Okay," I sighed, annoyed at him.

"What's this about the phone?"

"Like I said, dad. I offered her a phone and then she cried."

"Well do you think that's what she wanted?"

"That's the best for her." I shook my head as if it was not obvious enough that it is. 

"I didn't ask for the best honey, I asked if that's what she wanted."

"I don't know!" I angrily sat down on the grass and pulled out a fistful, "Isn't the best something people want?"

"Everyone isn't as privileged as us, Chloe. You need to understand that. What did you tell her exactly?"

"I told her her phone's cracked. She told me she doesn't have money for it but I told her I got my card and everything."

"And you were confused with that?"

"I even offered to drive!" I continued plucking the grass beside me.

"Chloe, listen to me. okay? Elizabeth grew up with an abusive father and an absent mom. Elise and the rest of us had that talk. Understand her."

"Yes, that's why I OFFERED HER A PHONE."

"Be considerate. You're out here raising your voice at your dad because you made a girl cry for what? Making her feel like you're pitying her."

I was dumbfounded, it was the first time I raised my voice at dad. It felt like a ton of bricks fell down on my body and I wanted to shrink to the size of the pebbles I was kicking and get the same treatment. I wanted to disappear. 

"Dad..." I sobbed and tears rushed down my cheeks, "Dad I'm sorry I didn't mean to."

"I know your mom raised you well as I have. Have we given you too much?"

"I'm- I'm sorry Dad I won't do it again. I'm not angry at you."

"I'm glad you called."

"Are you angry at me?" I sniffed and took the grass I pulled out, carefully covering the rough patches I made and tried my best to cover everything.

"You didn't honey, no. This is me being your dad, me and your mom are working hard for you, we wouldn't be angry with you just because of that."

"What am I going to do?" I sighed heavily, "I'm sorry dad. I didn't mean to, I promise... I was frustrated."

"Go somewhere you're the most comfortable and at ease. Think about what you did. That's what I do whenever I upset your mom, I apologize. This isn't about you helping her, it's about her and what she feels about what you did."

"I'm sorry for yelling at you dad."

"Be patient, love. Things don't come to everyone freely, you're privileged enough to have that."

"I will, I promise."

"You're still grounded, okay? Take that as an opportunity to learn."

"You can trust me on that, I love you dad." I stared at the poorly covered grass with blurred vision, tears wanting to show themselves again.

"I love you too. Now did our backyard have a bald patch again?"

"What- How'd you know?" I sniffed.

"When you were a kid, whenever you're having tantrums, you'd run to our backyard and sit on the grass, plucking the ones next to you while crying." 

I burst out in tears, "I love you dad."

"Your mom and I love you too honey. I'll go now, okay? Call us if you need anything."

"Okay. Have fun with mom."

"You know we will." 

- Call ended -