Chapter 64: Tuesday

The car ride was quiet, everyone was doing their own things.

Olivia's on her phone, David's busy driving, Chloe has her sight outside, and my heart beating as loud as a drum; as I said, their own things.

If I could control my heartbeat, I would've stopped it there and then but it would still be up and running because of her hand over mine.

"Gerard's getting something over this as well." Olivia broke the silence.

I looked over at Chloe, her eyebrows furrowed together, and her hand was no longer on top of mine. "Wait Mom, Gerard didn't do anything."

"Exactly." David said, "You stayed outside with your friends Channel and Yvonne. His job is to keep you safe and take you home. You have to understand your actions affect other people too."

Their words were stern but careful, caring but serious. 

Something I'm unfamiliar with.

She sank to her seat and looked down. She looked so defeated and I wanted to comfort her but I didn't know how. 

"Elizabeth?" David's voice made me look up.

"Yes?" I said weakly. I already know that I'm getting told off for being a bad influence to-

"Thank you for taking care of Chloe last night," He said and made eye contact with me through the mirror, "Gerard told me Chloe called you first."

Wow, I'm so wrong.

"But- but Chloe did this because of me... I should be the one-"

"Nonsense." Olivia commented and waved her hand in dismissal, "Chloe's old enough, if she decides to do something she's responsible for it."

I saw David nod, "Since she's grounded and we're busy, we'll have you look out for her too. Can we trust you with that?"

I nodded but then realized they couldn't see me, "Yes! I mean- yes..."

"Okay. Chloe, you're excused until Friday and Gerard already have notes of every lesson until then so study them. You're not going with us for the week."

For some odd reason, Chloe's demeanor changed. She quietly sighed and let her shoulders relax, "I will. Thank you."

"It's almost 9 am. We're an hour late to the meeting." I heard him mutter, "Are you going to school today Elizabeth?"

"No..." 

"You two can study together. We'll drop you off at the house."

*

She handed me a key, "They said to give you these."

I looked at the shiny keys on my palm, it looked as if they were new.

"Dad said you can come over any time, those are the keys to the main door and the guest room which is now yours."

"Wait I'm just staying for a few days- and what's the extra key for?"

Her face progressively turned red out of nowhere and muttered something I couldn't hear.

"I'm sorry?" I said, "Speak up."

"...My room..."

"Oh yeah, smart." I nodded and clutched the keys, "If I do get something while you're out I'll message you first so you know I went in your room."

She stared at me in confusion which made me do the same to her. She opened her mouth to speak but closed it and nodded slowly, "Yeah... It's for that."

It's Tuesday which means I have two classes that are in need of nothing: literature and pre-calculus.

"Gerard left the books in my room. I don't know what kind of stuff is written down so maybe we could study together?" She said, her voice full of hope.

And as much as I want to accept her offer, "I'm sorry, you can go first, I need to do something."

"Oh..." 

"I'm sorry." I frowned, I recently found out that I don't like it when Chloe gets sad, it was like I could feel her own hurt.

She shook her head and smiled, something that I picked up from Marco's family. "I'll wait."

*

I dropped sat down on the bed and stared at my notebook.

My thoughts are all clustered, it was like everything was everywhere at once but I tried to distract myself with some Physics topic I could remember just so I could focus on one subject, if quizzes are this Friday and next week, most likely exams would be the week after that.

I wrote them all down- I mean I tried but focusing was easier than said than done. I decided to write down everything I need to get in order and be reminded of. 

Things to think about:

1.  ̶C̶h̶l̶o̶     Job. (Need budget)
2. Place to stay 
3. C̷h̷l̷o̷e̷   School (Graduation)
4. C̷h̷l̷o̷e̷ COLLEGE. 

Done.

Firstly I need a job and I already messed it up with that guy over the coffee shop in the mall. I think I should check at Jonathan's, maybe he could offer me something.

I nodded to myself and wrote a line over #1. 

Next, I'm pretty stumped with #2. The last time I did check apartments with Chloe, every place was already packe-

A ring stopped me from my thoughts. An unknown number displayed on my screen and I hesitantly picked it up.

"Hello?" I said cautiously.

"Elizabeth, Hi! It's Olivia."

My eyebrows scrunched together in confusion, "Hi..."

"Hi. Yes, I'm sorry for calling so suddenly, I got your number from Chloe, I called her before you. I just wanted to let you know that we'll be away tomorrow until Thursday so please stay as long as you want."

"Uhm,is it-"

"I personally called you because David and I figured you'd decline if Chloe asked you, I know my little girl's stubborn so she might push you to stay. I understand if you want to move but please know that our house is big enough for another. That's why we have Gerard with us too."

I looked around the room and checked for any security cameras, a bit weirded out by how he called at the time I was thinking about apartments.

Her phone's mic picked up a faint voice from the background. "Ma'am, President Anderson....looking for you..."

"Okay, I'm in the middle of something so I'll have to go."  She said.

"Thank you Olivia."

"It's nothing," She said, "stay safe there."

---

I'm skipping my workout for this. I'm typing tho and that means I'm exercising my hands so it's okay! right? right? say yes (threat)