Chapter 68: One on One

Again, the drive wasn't mundane but more of an anxious one this time.

I didn't even notice we were at Tori's until Chloe called me out.

"We can always turn around." She gave me a reassuring smile.

Shaking my head, I unbuckled my seatbelt, "It's okay."

I knocked on the door. the sickening feeling of finding Elise just in front of me dumped on me like a bucket full of ice.

You can do this.

The door slowly opened, revealing Tori. She immediately opened the door.

Chloe held up the stuff that we bought: bread and coffee.

"Group study?" I said, my hand subconsciously rubbing my arm.

Tori blinked before stepping aside, "Come in."

"They're out today." She said, "They'll be home around 9 pm."

"That's good..." I said, making the awkward tension around us heavier.

"Oh yeah, I need to update you guys!" Chloe clapped her hands together as we go to the sofa.

We both look at her and I was internally grateful for her being here.

"I was supposed to go to a business meeting actually," She said to me, "That's why I'm excused but I'm glad I got grounded."

Chloe and I sat beside each other while Tori sat opposite to the single chair.

"I met with my old friends, right?" We nodded, "Well for us it's tradition whenever we meet we go somewhere fun like ba-"

Her phone rang and she quickly picked it up.

"Hi Dad!" She smiled, "I'm with Liz right now at-"

She froze and I realized what she just realized.

"I FORGOT I'M FUCKING GROUNDED." She mouthed at me and I covered my mouth with my hand.

"-At the house. Why'd you call?" She looked at me wide-eyed with a smile playing on her lips.

I shook my head and lifted a finger, waving it back and forth, signaling to her that she was in trouble.

"Uh-uh." She nodded and grabbed a notebook and pen from my bag, writing the words: You're responsible for me :p

Fuck.

My heartbeat skyrocketed. Tori's notebook sliding towards me caught my attention.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I looked at her and stifled a laugh before writing down an explanation, in a second she read it and nodded with an understanding look.

"Wait- now?" Chloe said, disappointment evident in her tone. "Dad I'm grounded right?"

The call ended and she frowned, "Dad said Yvonne and Channel's looking for me."

"But you're grounded." I raised an eyebrow.

"Who's that?"

"Friends," Chloe grumbled bitterly. "I'll pick you up?"

I nodded, "Let me know when we're going home."

She smiled briefly and grabbed her keys, "I'm so sorry guys."

"It's no worries," Tori said, "We can study together next time."

She gave her a thumbs up and then kissed me on the cheek, "see you."

A tidal wave of emotions crashed down onto me violently and Chlo hurriedly went outside.