Memory lane 1

Cassie sat under a tree in the back of the foster care yard watching tentatively as the other children around her laughed and ran freely without a care in the world. Ray sat next to her munching on an apple, her sharp pointed canines digging into the red fruit in her clawed hand.

As her friend crunched quietly on her food next to her Cassie's thoughts swam around in her head like fish in the water. Just who was she before she came here? Why couldn't she remember anything from before her 6th birthday?

It was like she didn't exist before that point her whole life up until then a giant blank page that had yet to be filled in. But no matter how hard she tried to remember she always came up empty handed.

A big wall kept her from her past memories; it was unbreakable holding her back from what she so desperately wanted, no scrap that needed to know. It frustrated the small girl to no end. Why did everyone else get to know their life from before they came to this place and why was she so different?

She wasn't a dumb kid, she knew there had to be a reason for her memory loss. She knew that she shouldn't try and pick at the bandaid haphazardly slapped over her brain like flex tape slapped on a boat.

There were so many kids here, why did only one understand her dilemma? Why did the other kids think her memory loss was scary? It wasn't her fault she couldn't remember, how she was supposed to control something that was so obviously out of her hands.

No they weren't scared of her. She knew what they were really scared of and that was the unknown. Who she could have been and who she could have known. It was only reasonable for them to want to avoid her. What if her parents were villains or terrible people?

Children were scared of the dumbest things Cassie found herself often thinking about secretly bitter of their carefree attitude. But there was one person who wasn't, one person who wasn't afraid of her. Her best friend in the entire world, the person she would put her life on the line for, Ray Ryu.