Memory lane 8

" I don't want to stay here Ray." Cassie whispered to her friend who was reading a manga sprawled out on her bed. Ray looked up at her friend who was sitting beside her looking at her hands unhappily.

Ray frowned her ruby red eyes glinting in the dim light of Cassie's bedside lamp as she placed her book in her lap, propping herself up on her elbows to talk to the upset pinkette. " DId they say something to you again."

Cassie shook her head looking away from Ray and almost immediately could tell she was lying. The immediate tells her friend would show when she was lying were her avoidance of eye contact and how her pointed elf ears drooped down ever so slightly.

Ray gritted her teeth in anger. " Cassie, you can't keep letting them get away with this shit, you have to put your foot down.'' Ray huffed running a hand through her curly dark blue hair in frustration. The kids at this center were all monsters, picking on the little ones and ostracizing those who didn't fit in.

If Cassie were to just ask her to, Ray would beat up all the other kids in a heartbeat but her best friend was frustratingly adverse to the use of excessive violence. That was just how the pinkette was, a tried and true pacifist for the most part.

Yes she wanted to be a hero one day and knew she would eventually have to fight but Cassie had been adamant in her wishes to only fight bad people. Ray had made the argument that the kids who lived with them in the center were justifiably bad but Cassie was quick to disagree.

Instead of direct violence Ray has instead resorted to small verbal threats and glaring but even that was hardly a deterrent for most of the other kids. " What happened Cassie?" Ray chided hoping she would tell her.

Cassie frowned, dabbing at the corner of her eyes with her sleeve mumbling quietly just loud enough for the girl next to her to hear. " They said I should never have been brought here because I bring bad luck " The pinkette sniffled looking up from her lap.

Ray rolled her eyes, she should have known. Recently there had been a series of misfortunes that had struck the Magnolia house, it had started with one of the house keepers falling down a flight of stairs. She hadn't been hurt but apparently someone had pushed her and the blame was immediately pinned on Cassie.

Next there had been a quirk mishap. One of the kids sneezed and a gust of wind had knocked over the fence. It was clear who was at fault but still the kid responsible blamed Cassie and her plants for shaking up the foundation of the house.

It was little things like that, things that could be explained away if someone would just listen to Cassie and her fervent denials of any involvement. The poor girl could never catch a break and it was getting to the point where even the caretakers were starting to grow wary of the small child.

Ray quietly vowed to herself that one day she would get both Cassie and herself out of that wretched place. She would become a hero alongside her best friend and they would never be looked down upon again. Ray made a promise to herself that no matter what, no matter what anyone said she would stick by Cassie's side through thick and thin and for as long as she was alive.